Main Menu

1970 Dodge Challenger Red with 76,804 Miles

Started by MasonDaniel7, February 12, 2022, 11:14:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MasonDaniel7

Dakota

Just curious on two items on this car:

1.  I don't think I've ever seen a pistol grip shifter on an automatic like this before.   This is not stock, correct?

2.  In the 2nd picture below, is that a cruise control unit next to the brake booster?   Was that option available in '70?

:smile: I think you numbers matching/correct OE guys are starting to get into my head.

ply64post

Dakota

#1  No

# 2 Yes with certain packages

Jeff

scf100

1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

Brads70

Nice looking car but first thing that stands out to me is the Challenger script in the grill? Easy enough to fix though!  :bradsthumb:

That's an Autogrip shifter. I have one in my car too. No not stock.
https://www.facebook.com/autogripshifter/

"Quapman" on the old site....

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/autogrip-shifter/17785/

Mopsquad

Read up on the shifter handle.  What a good looking, well made piece.

JH27N0B

I'd love to see the fender tag on that one.
Door sticker looks phony as heck.  The month of build isn't even correct for that VIN number range, it would have probably been built in early mid November of 1969.

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 15, 2022, 12:12:35 PM
Door sticker looks phony as heck.  The month of build isn't even correct for that VIN number range, it would have probably been built in early mid November of 1969.

Can't comment on the date, but the font and spacing is correct for a sunroof car ....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Maybe there is something different with sunroof cars that where their completion was delayed by up to several months due to being sent out for sunroof installation? If I'm not mistaken that was done by an outside contractor not on the line?  Otherwise I can't see why a 191xxx VIN would have been shown as built in February.  They were at VINs ending in 199xxx toward the end of November of 1969.

EV2RTSE

Smallblock340

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 15, 2022, 12:12:35 PM

Fender tag plate added to the listing:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

JH27N0B

That is interesting, it does show a mid November scheduled build date.
One of the door stickers Alan posted has a close VIN to the one advertised and it's door sticker is December.
So it's final manufacture was delayed a month for sending it to ASC to install the sunroof.
Doesn't make sense the advertised car would have been delayed 3 months for that process?

7E-Bodies

@anlauto i agree, but I saw that same type font on a 70 TA that I went to look at. Albeit, I found a ton of counterfeit stamp tampering on that car as well. Just saying this isn't the first time I've seen this font. Curious.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

EV2RTSE

I'd always heard that the 'typewriter' font found on door VINs like this were on cars pulled off the line to have a sunroof installed or for other reasons, pilot car, etc.

JH27N0B

That would make sense if they ended up getting the door sticker in a different area than the bulk of production and that area had a machine with different font.
I'm still curious about the February date on a November SBD car.  Has anyone documented sunroof cars as to how long the contractor sunroof installation delayed the build?  The little information I see suggests around a month.
This car might have got damaged and the repair delayed it that is the only legitimate reason I can imagine.