Main Menu

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible AZ craigs

Started by mopartaz, November 09, 2020, 07:00:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Surprised they left it column shift auto during the restoration  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mopartaz

70 Challenger Lover

At first, it didn't seem like the right shade of blue but then I realized the pictures are totally washed out.

Pictures aside, what a cool car! I am loving b5 more and more with each passing year. And the blue interior makes it even better. It would have been nice if it was ordered with a console but I can understand the owner wanting to keep the original column shifter I guess.

1 Wild R/T

Some weird stuff wrong with that car.... I love the fuel line & brake line not going through the torsion bar crossmember, instead they go under it....

71 & up trunk floor, 71 & up A/C lines & condenser...  Overall a pretty cool Vert..

Skdmark

It's been for sale since at least May.
Nice looking car overall, would be a fun ride. Could do some weekend work fixing some of the inaccuracies.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Overall I like it and it would actually be fun tweaking it better. For some strange reason I like the column shift on this one.
Sheldon

C_B5

A lot more e-bodies were optioned from the factory with column shift than probably realize. Back in the late 80's and early 90's seems that everyone converted them over to floor console auto or manual shift.

I know many will disagree with this but, personally having owned many challengers with both column and console shift, I prefer the column shifter and glad didn't follow the crowd and kept mine.
IMO, the interior looks so much cleaner without the console especially when optioned with bucket seats. The same can be said about 4-speed manual shift non-console cars.

On the other hand the console was cheap plastic that rattles constantly, offered little actual storage, has a lid that doesn't close properly and would crack / break just by looking at it !!

tparker

The R/T had the column shifter as an option? that seems a little odd, That wouldn't have been standard for an R/T, right?

RUNCHARGER

No: Even in an R/T the console was an option. 3 speed manual floor shift without console was standard.
Sheldon

Skdmark

I would take the column auto with the buddy seat in a convertible like this. It fits the fun cruiser vibe.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Quote from: tparker on November 10, 2020, 09:58:45 AM
The R/T had the column shifter as an option? that seems a little odd, That wouldn't have been standard for an R/T, right?

As Sheldon pointed out, when your ordered a R/T (other then a Hemi) it came standard with a 3 speed manual. If you opted for the optional automatic transmission, you got a column shifter. You would have to pay extra to get the optional floor shift/console. If you were thinking straight, you would just order a four speed. :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

If you ordered an automatic transmission and DID NOT order a console, You got it with a column shift.   :yes:

kdcarman

Quote from: JS29 on November 11, 2020, 06:27:38 AM
If you ordered an automatic transmission and DID NOT order a console, You got it with a column shift.   :yes:

oops!

challengermaniac

Beautiful car with an award for the longest description ever!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5