Main Menu

1971 Challenger R/T Convertible, 440, FY1

Started by LoStHeMi, April 09, 2023, 09:19:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

WOW 
I don't see it say it is "numbers matching" but seems to present it as that way. Definitely super rare, and kind of odd (white & black stripes, etc.).

anlauto

If you're going to do body coloured steel wheels, at least get the correct rims, there's a reason TONY'S PARTS went through the trouble to have them reproduced. Personally it's a huge turn off for me.... :barf:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: anlauto on April 09, 2023, 11:32:23 AM
If you're going to do body coloured steel wheels, at least get the correct rims, there's a reason TONY'S PARTS went through the trouble to have them reproduced. Personally it's a huge turn off for me.... :barf:
Just be very thankful chargervert from For B bodies only and Moparts isn't a member here.  Whenever mention of steel wheels and dogdish hubcaps comes up in a thread, he hijacks the thread to go on a diatribe about how awful steel wheels and caps are!  Reading his rants gives me a headache :headbang: :haha:
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s I was tormenting myself often seeking romance in personal ads, and then online.  During that time I saw several articles that were guides to translating what people posted in their personal ads. For example "athletic" meant "overweight".
After many many years of looking at Mecum listings, going to their auctions and reading insights on cars listed posted on car forums, I could probably put together a similar guide on translating Mecum descriptions.
For starters, if the ad doesn't say anything about numbers matching, odds are close to 100% that the car is NOM.  :alan2cents:
I have a pet peeve that Mecum never shows a picture of the fender tag in their listings.
However for this one, I give them props for showing a picture of the BCS.  From what I could make out the car looks restored to original, real U code, no color changes or engine upgrade. Not that there aren't a lot of E body resto 101 mistakes here like radiator support not blacked out, painted hood release spring, 1971 up MC, etc.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0523-553715/1970-dodge-challenger-rt-convertible/

Here's another one of their Indy Listings I'm trying to translate with my Mecum translator guide.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0523-554064/1970-plymouth-barracuda-convertible/

I'm translating this one to be a BH27N0B car, not a cuda. Or would that be a Gran Coupe?
The 335 hp 383 throws me a curve, unless a cuda, it would be a 330 hp.  :huh:
As long as we're talking about Mecum Indy 2023 cars, this one is real interesting

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0523-554075/1971-plymouth-hemi-cuda/

I can't stand the custom paint job on this car, if I bought it I'd have to restore it to stock.  Rob Wolf would probably devote a whole issue of MCG to ripping me a new one if I removed it's period customization, but too bad. It's fugly!  :barf:
I've been making a pilgrimage to Indy every year for a while to see the offerings, and plan to go again next month!

JEJJ

"If you're going to do body coloured steel wheels, at least get the correct rims, there's a reason TONY'S PARTS went through the trouble to have them reproduced."
I know nothing about the steel rims difference in looks once the poverty caps are on, where is the difference when looking at them?
I am more of a 15 x 7 rally guy, but the steel painted rims don't offend me the way they do you Alan  :dunno:

JH27N0B

The broadcast sheet shows "17" for the wheels with an "89" wheel cover.
I assume 17 is a 14" steel wheel?  I'm not a broadcast sheet guru but I think 89 is a regular hubcap?
I don't have anything against steels and dog dish, I have 450s on my T/A, but if you're going to upgrade to 15" on a well optioned car that originally had 14" wheels, I'd think 15x7 rally's would be the only way to go!

anlauto

Quote from: JEJJ on April 10, 2023, 07:13:09 AM

I know nothing about the steel rims difference in looks once the poverty caps are on, where is the difference when looking at them?
I am more of a 15 x 7 rally guy, but the steel painted rims don't offend me the way they do you Alan  :dunno:

I find it hard to believe you can't tell the difference ? Are you new to the hobby ? :pokeeye:

I prefer rally rims too, and the nice thing about the world is we can all have an opinion... :P
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JEJJ

Yes Alan we can, I was asking the difference in the looks and what the difference is in just looking at the steel rims dith the hub caps on ?
I am new to the hobby and appreciate any help offered. That you to all for both your time and patience, I want to try and understand more of this Mopar hobby.

anlauto

Okay, for a young fella like yourself, I'll play along. The section of rim that has the valve stem has a flat surface. The width of that surface is noticeably wider on the correct '450 rims as well on TONY'S reproductions. :bigthumb:
It's a hard thing to describe, but if you look at the yellow car in question, you can tell right away it's the wrong rims... :rubeyes:

Class dismissed  :1place:

57Fury440

I think the steel wheels look good. I prefer the ralley wheels myself. Having been around in the "old" days, I found that most of the performance guys went with the steel rims. They would not pay extra for any of the factory rims because they ended up putting on Cragars, Keystones, etc. and getting rid of the steel ones.

JEJJ

Thank you Alan for the edg-u-ma-cation....so, that little difference is "Personally it's a huge turn off for me...."
Ummmm.....don't ever look at any of my cars, you would have a field day picking them apart. Being new to the hobby, I just bought a couple cars to drive and liked the way they look,just to get into the hobby. They are definately not up to these standards.  :worship:

Skdmark

I'm more curious about the Polyglas tires missing the sizes vs an inaccurate steel rim.

IMO, steel rims can add a nice change of pace. Rallye wheels are practically expected on an e-body and it gets a bit boring.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

JH27N0B

Early polyglas rwl tires didn't have the size in raised white letters. But I'm not sure how long they were like that before they started adding the size info.  This cars VIN, JS27U0B236914, isn't an especially early build though. Probably December or early January of 70? Mecum didn't show the door tag or fender tag in their pictures to see the build month. We know the letters were there when T/As and AARs started building in March, and it was probably many months before that and cars built in December would likely have had size in Rwl.
Truth be known, since this car was originally 14" with hubcaps, the tires it was born with might well have been whitewalls.  Since the wheels and tires currently are a deviation from a day one resto, it doesn't matter all that much what's on it now.  The next buyer can put 14" wheels and wheel covers on it if they desire.

anlauto

Quote from: JEJJ on April 10, 2023, 10:13:26 AM
Thank you Alan for the edg-u-ma-cation....so, that little difference is "Personally it's a huge turn off for me...."
Ummmm.....don't ever look at any of my cars, you would have a field day picking them apart. Being new to the hobby, I just bought a couple cars to drive and liked the way they look,just to get into the hobby. They are definately not up to these standards.  :worship:

Well, we all have opinions....as I said, if someone wants the put 15" steel wheels on their car, TONY'S PARTS has now made it easy to get the correct looking rim, why not take advantage of it ? :dunno:

I would NEVER pick apart any of your cars JEJJ, as long as you're happy driving and enjoying your vehicles, that's all we can ask for. It's nice to see young guys joining the Mopar hobby....Welcome  :grouphug:

6pack

Interesting that no one mentions the fact that there were no R/T verts produced in 71 correct?