Main Menu

Current Mecum auction

Started by blown motor, January 06, 2022, 12:02:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on January 15, 2022, 06:06:48 PM
Quote from: anlauto on January 15, 2022, 04:32:42 PM
I wanted to see what that purple restomod Challenger would go for because it has the same driveline and suspension as my Cuda will have, but unfortunately the Challenger was too ugly to get any serious bids.....

Was only bid to $110K but reserve NOT met :dunno: That's what happens when you modify a car to personally to suit your own tastes  :thumbdown:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-487865/1970-dodge-challenger-convertible/

Likely that repop warped bumper killed it!  :pullinghair: :rofl:
Ya that rad/battery cover is pretty sad! Amongst other things...

There's a long list of "personal touches " that kill it for this car in my opinion... :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

but the battery is on the passenger side (is that common with Gen3 swaps?). Not sure what the ugly aluminum cover is on the drivers side  :dunno:

anlauto

Quote from: 70vert on January 15, 2022, 06:22:55 PM
but the battery is on the passenger side (is that common with Gen3 swaps?). Not sure what the ugly aluminum cover is on the drivers side  :dunno:

Some sort of air box maybe  :dunno: I like the battery in the trunk for a cleaner look up front  :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

7212Mopar

High prices due to appreciation and inflation. How much the HEMI Cuda convertible sold for. I saw the preview when they talk about it but had to leave the house so I missed it.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

JH27N0B

Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 16, 2022, 09:16:14 AM
High prices due to appreciation and inflation. How much the HEMI Cuda convertible sold for. I saw the preview when they talk about it but had to leave the house so I missed it.
The hemi cuda convertible didn't meet reserve. Shows bid goes on at $2.1M.

7212Mopar

Ok Thanks. That is a lot of money already.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: MKA on January 15, 2022, 11:06:24 AM
Quote from: mrwfp on January 15, 2022, 08:55:05 AM
I saw the '70 yellow hemi 'Cuda sell too and wondered why the price was so low.  I recorded the show and played it back several times to try to see exactly what it was being presented as.  I thought it might be a clone but the announcers always point that out when a clone is presented.  In fact, they announced that this was one of 368 hemi 'Cudas with the venerable auto transmission.  I don't think they would have said that and quoted the number of autos if this was a clone.  I am wondering if there was something funny going on with this car as it has a lot number of 102.1, which indicates that it was a late addition and the car did not show up in the results online late last night.  It seems to have disappeared.

There is a whole lot of back and forth on Facebook Mopar fender tags club that the car has a fake fender tag and engine stamping and the buyer swearing he got a steal.      Being Facebook who knows but as always buyer beware.

I looked at this yellow `70 Hemicuda on Saturday. The car presented well but had some details that needed correction. The fender tag is a reproduction and the cowl VIN is not visible at all. The cowl area is smooth with no impressions showing at all. Sold price was $126,500 including buyer's premium.

autoxcuda

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on January 16, 2022, 10:15:21 AM
I saw the '70 yellow hemi 'Cuda sell too and wondered why the price was so low.  I recorded the show and played it back several times to try to see exactly what it was being presented as.  I thought it might be a clone but the announcers always point that out when a clone is presented.  In fact, they announced that this was one of 368 hemi 'Cudas with the venerable auto transmission.  I don't think they would have said that and quoted the number of autos if this was a clone.  I am wondering if there was something funny going on with this car as it has a lot number of 102.1, which indicates that it was a late addition and the car did not show up in the results online late last night.  It seems to have disappeared.

There is a whole lot of back and forth on Facebook Mopar fender tags club that the car has a fake fender tag and engine stamping and the buyer swearing he got a steal.      Being Facebook who knows but as always buyer beware.

I looked at this yellow `70 Hemicuda on Saturday. The car presented well but had some details that needed correction. The fender tag is a reproduction and the cowl VIN is not visible at all. The cowl area is smooth with no impressions showing at all. Sold price was $126,500 including buyer's premium.

Did it have radiator support numbers?

Did the frame reinforcements look OE?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: autoxcuda on January 16, 2022, 10:25:14 AM

From memory, yes, the radiator support was stamped with the same VIN. I remember thinking maybe the cowl had been replaced due to rust damage and also thinking that this car, whether real or not, was going to be questionable forever.

Yes, the radiator support matched the dash VIN. I remember thinking this car would always be questionable with the cowl VIN possibly having been repaired due to rust. Good restoration pics and documentation showing that area would go along way in proving the car is bona fide or not.

MoparCarGuy

Here is a wrapup of results on Cudas and Challengers through Sunday (16JAN). Click the picture to enlarge.
Some of the special exhibition cars do not show results yet. They included the pilot car convertibles.
Mecum Results include the buyer's premium of 10%.

anlauto

Just watched a purple 4 speed T/A sell for $150K PLUS 10%.... :yes:

The Butterscotch 71 340 Cuda got $71500 all in.....that was a good deal too...in my opinion

MKA

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on January 16, 2022, 10:36:55 AM

From memory, yes, the radiator support was stamped with the same VIN. I remember thinking maybe the cowl had been replaced due to rust damage and also thinking that this car, whether real or not, was going to be questionable forever.

Yes, the radiator support matched the dash VIN. I remember thinking this car would always be questionable with the cowl VIN possibly having been repaired due to rust. Good restoration pics and documentation showing that area would go along way in proving the car is bona fide or not.

Here is the supposed engine stamp that those on Facebook are calling fake.  I say supposed as a qualifier because I have neither the expertise or ability to verify what people are posting or saying is valid.

R/T's 4 R/P

That Sublime TA is rough...someone way overbid IMO.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: MKA on January 16, 2022, 01:43:23 PM
Quote from: MoparCarGuy on January 16, 2022, 10:36:55 AM

Here is the supposed engine stamp that those on Facebook are calling fake.  I say supposed as a qualifier because I have neither the expertise or ability to verify what people are posting or saying is valid.

The factory placed the alpha-numeric dies in a fixture and stamped them. That is why they are visually aligned, within a certain tolerance, and spaced properly. This Cuda's engine stamping is very out of align, the spacing is off, and the numeral "0" and "4" is nothing like the factory font.
It is also common to tape off the VIN stamping during restoration. This leaves the pad's original spiral, machining marks exposed for inspection versus having paint potentially hiding later machining which was done to eradicate an original VIN stamp.
The below pictures should help with what is correct.

anlauto

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on January 16, 2022, 02:57:49 PM
That Sublime TA is rough...someone way overbid IMO.

I guess being a four speed with rear window louvers, someone must have wanted it pretty bad....It looks like it could need to be restored  :rubeyes: