Main Menu

Wanted: Early SPD, low VIN 1970 `cuda

Started by cudaized, February 11, 2017, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GY3R/T

I also have a LA built GC 383HP, ralley dash, A31, B51, D21.  What color is your GC ?

Cudadon1

My car started out original as a burnt orange and couldn't stand that color so in its final paint it will become yellow. My wife says o no but my word is final I hope. Lots of time and money went into finishing this car in a couple of months. I live in Murrieta Ca. Didn't know it would take this long or the parts would be so expensive even doing it all myself. I had a 70 AAR in 71 but sold it and regretted it ever since. Hope this car will be worth what I've put into it when done. Lots of hours and money. I mentioned it has a production number 822 on fender tag and BP23NOE100723.

6bblgt

822-Scheduled Production Date (8/22/69) is Friday of the first week of regular production at the Los Angeles assembly plant
they "scheduled" ~900 cars in week #1 & another ~600 cars in week #2
IMO, without additional info - it would be safe to ASSUME that it was built during the first 2-weeks of production
What's the date code on the K-frame & was it still with the car when you purchased it?

a 1970 Gran Coupe with the "N"-code 383 4bbl will be -
330hp BLUE painted engine w/Carter carb. with an automatic transmission (383 Four-Barrel)
or
335hp ORANGE painted engine w/Holley carb. with a manual transmission (383HP)

JS29

I have A 909 SPD on my 70 gran coupe LA build't barracuda. 383 4-speed. EF8, black vinyl top. It did have F8 Interior, but it has black interior now.

Cudadon1

Finding out my car of 822 makes it a true find. I bet not many of them still around. Makes me feel better about all the hours and money that was spent. I was told that 100723 was one of 732 GP 383hp auto cars built in 1970. My engine that I picked up came out of a 70 GP and it was painted orange with a Holley with a automatic. Ma Mopar never could quite get things right I was told and never say never was their motto. It has the original intake and exhaust heads block and pan. So not numbers matching but correct year anyway. Going to be a nice driver as I changed the headliner and took off the rear mlds. I thought as long as I was going to own it I might as well do it my way.

GY3R/T

Quote from: Cudadon1 on September 16, 2018, 10:17:48 AM
My car started out original as a burnt orange and couldn't stand that color so in its final paint it will become yellow. My wife says o no but my word is final I hope. Lots of time and money went into finishing this car in a couple of months. I live in Murrieta Ca. Didn't know it would take this long or the parts would be so expensive even doing it all myself. I had a 70 AAR in 71 but sold it and regretted it ever since. Hope this car will be worth what I've put into it when done. Lots of hours and money. I mentioned it has a production number 822 on fender tag and BP23NOE100723.

My SPD was 909. Vitamin C Color.

6bblgt

sounds like a cool car!  8) definitely an early car built in LA!

822 = SPD (Scheduled Production Date) Friday 8/22/69
732 = approximate number of '70 Gran Coupe hardtops w/383 Four-Barrel & automatic (89% of BP23s accounted for)
100723 = 723rd assigned VIN at Los Angeles assembly for 1970 model year (A, B & E-bodies included, all were assembled at LA)

Quote from: Cudadon1 on September 16, 2018, 04:01:31 PM
..... GP 383hp auto cars built in 1970. My engine that I picked up came out of a 70 GP and it was painted orange with a Holley with a automatic. Ma Mopar never could quite get things right I was told and never say never was their motto. It has the original intake and exhaust heads block and pan. .....

:cheers: I would love for someone to present proof of a non-BS 383/automatic (or non-JS 383/automatic) with a 383HP engine, most of the "never say never" crowd offers no proof, just rumor & hearsay

do you have the partial VIN stamping and engine assembly date info for the 383 & 727 you have for your car now?

mille

Hi.  If eng code  E65 in a JH  383 / automatic  is what you are looking for ,  then I have one  1971 challenger

6bblgt

for a 1970 E-BODY there were 2 different "N"-code (E63) 383 4-barrel engines 330hp (BLUE engine) & 335hp (ORANGE engine)
* a broadcast sheet would confirm which engine was spec'd for a specific car

for a 1971 E-BODY there was 1 "N"-code (E65) 383 4-barrel engine 300hp (ORANGE engine)

mille