Main Menu

1970 Challenger wiper motor and switch compatibility

Started by GerryThal, January 20, 2020, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GerryThal

Hey guys,
I have a 1970 Dodge Challenger that came with a 2 speed wiper motor and a variable speed switch (pn # 2770380). When I bench tested them, it worked for a couple of seconds, then stopped. So then I wired up a 2 speed switch and it worked, so I'm assuming the motor must be OK. The resistor looks questionable...

I would like to use the variable speed switch if possible.

Will that combination (2 speed wiper motor and a variable speed switch) work together? Do I still need the ballast resistor? Is there a "over the counter" replacement for the ballast resistor if needed?

BTW - I am using an aftermarket (Painfull) wiring harness so the switch will be wired directly to the wiper motor.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cuda Cody

Originally the switches were different for a 2 speed and a 3 speed.  Can you post a photo of the switch you are using?

I've never heard of anyone using a 3 speed switch on a 2 speed motor, but that does not mean it can't be made to work!

GerryThal

Hi Cody,

Thanks for the quick reply!
Although I don't think ANYTHING was ever fixed or replaced, this is the motor and switch that came with the car, but the car was a basket case when I bought it, so I don't know if the wipers worked properly...

I have attached the only 2 photos I happen to have tonight. I can take some additional photos if needed

HEMICUDA

Quote from: GerryThal on January 20, 2020, 07:00:14 PM
Hi Cody,

Thanks for the quick reply!
Although I don't think ANYTHING was ever fixed or replaced, this is the motor and switch that came with the car, but the car was a basket case when I bought it, so I don't know if the wipers worked properly...

I have attached the only 2 photos I happen to have tonight. I can take some additional photos if needed

What you are showing is a 2-speed variable wiper switch, you can not use that switch with a standard wiper motor because you have a resistor in the switch and that type of motor also has a resistor.  A variable speed motor will not have a resistor and the winding in the motor itself is different.  You will have to either change the switch or get the correct motor.

Cuda Cody

GerryThal

Thank you for the reply HEMICUDA,
Can I take the (motor) ballast resistor out of the "loop" and make it work?
My goal is to make the wiper system more modern by implementing a variable speed switch/motor. I am not trying to keep the car factory original, but was hoping I could use the factory motor to keep it looking that way.

Recommendations?

HEMICUDA

Quote from: GerryThal on January 22, 2020, 03:36:24 AM
Thank you for the reply HEMICUDA,
Can I take the (motor) ballast resistor out of the "loop" and make it work?
My goal is to make the wiper system more modern by implementing a variable speed switch/motor. I am not trying to keep the car factory original, but was hoping I could use the factory motor to keep it looking that way.

Recommendations?

Even without the resistor, I don't think that motor winding will work with a variable speed switch.