Main Menu

1973 Dodge Challenger Opinions

Started by Inmemoryof..., February 28, 2019, 06:45:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Inmemoryof...

I have a 1973 Challenger that's been sitting for 38yrs never started never moved. It's all original numbers matching with a 340 auto. I would like opinions on whether I should restore it to original condition or was tinkering with the idea of a new hemi?  Either way the body would be restored keeping in mind I'm a experienced body man who does this for a living.

Inmemoryof...

Forgot the pics as you may have seen.

anlauto

Being a 340 car, it's rare, but being your Father's car I can assume you'll never sell it...so I say New Hemi :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I like them in stock configuration. If I want a new Hemi I drive my pickup truck. Your father drove it with the smallblock.
Sheldon

dave73

Build the 340 with efi. Then you won't have an extra engine laying around you won't part with because it's numbers matching. I'm tripping over my 318 now.

anlauto

Quote from: dave73chally on February 28, 2019, 07:10:45 PM
Build the 340 with efi. Then you won't have an extra engine laying around you won't part with because it's numbers matching. I'm tripping over my 318 now.

I actually really like this idea too....plenty of new EFI set-ups that will make your 340 run like a modern car ! Great idea Dave :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

If it was a junker I might go a little modern but being it numbers matching 340 and you've had it this long I'd leave it original. But it's yours so do whatever you want, but I wouldn't get rid of anything if you decide to go modern. But I do need some parts if you're sell them!

cuda hunter

Has the car had a repaint? My opinion would depend upon what the fender tag readout is. 
Which will come down to your opinion in the end.  If you like the color or color combo. 
I had a 72 Gy9 that grew on me.  It had the B6y3 interior and I liked that color combo. But with a black top not so much.

Is the engine the actual matching numbers engine?
If not I'd agree with a modern hemi. 
If it's numbers I'd say go with the numbers motor. 

If it has sat for 38 years there is still a great chance at finding a build sheet somewhere in the car! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP2

Quote from: anlauto on February 28, 2019, 07:24:28 PM
Quote from: dave73chally on February 28, 2019, 07:10:45 PM

I actually really like this idea too....plenty of new EFI set-ups that will make your 340 run like a modern car ! Great idea Dave :twothumbsup:

Ditto

ragtopdodge

340 all the way.

Nothing special about the modern, 1 million hemi engines out there anyways.

Find a 518 OD transmission, EFI, 3.91 gears and sure-grip, and you'll have a lot of fun.

7212Mopar

A 392 crate HEMI is only $8500 but then plus the wiring harness and a bunch of other components like alternator, power steering etc and cost goes up fast.  A number matching drive train is worth some money and the old engine looks better than the new in these cars. If it is a 318 car I will think about a new HEMI swap. Matching 340 I will keep as is or put a 4" crank to make a 416 for more power in naturally aspirated form and EFI it. That is what I have done on my 73 except my block is non matching.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RUNCHARGER

If it was a 318 flat hood car missing everything I could see doing whatever to it. However if it is a complete, original 340 car I would lean toward keeping the 340 etc.
Sheldon

73_Cuda_4_Me

Awesome legacy for you! Got any pictures of the fender tag? Depending on the rear end gearing, the 340 will be more than adequate for you!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

70 Challenger Lover

I would go 340 too but make a couple smart upgrades like EFI, frame stiffeners, a few suspension and brake upgrades. Having a spare motor taking up room sucks.

JS29

I would keep the 340 were it belongs! wish I could find the original 383 for my barracuda.  :alan2cents: