Main Menu

70 barracuda Control Arm Pivot pin bushing

Started by toadstool, October 14, 2021, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

toadstool

Wondering if the Pivot pin in the control arm to K-Member connection should be slightly loose or fully tightened. All new components installed. I have 2 options 1) set everything at ride height and tighten such that the bushing in the control arm does all the flexing while the lower control arm is articulation.( I suspect this is the correct thing to do) -or- 2) leave the pivot pin just slightly lose such that the pivot pin is now allowed to rotate within the K-member itself and relive the lower control arm bushing from the pivoting stress during articulation. Since the pin and K-Member do not seem to be machined as a true pivot point this seems to be not preferred. But it just seems like the pivot bushing itself it taking up a lot of articulation pressure every time it goes up & down. Thoughts?
70 Cuda Convertible

anlauto

The lower control arm pivot nuts are the last thing to be tightened after the ride height and alignment are finished :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

I think the OP is referring to the play in the pivot, The LCA rivets loosen a little bit and causes play. They make stiffening plates to correct that. I did mine, Made a big difference.   :alan2cents:     

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

toadstool

Anlauto went down the right path, I will tighten the pivot shaft fully at ride height and expect the bushing to flex sufficiently for the control arm to articulate up and down
70 Cuda Convertible

anlauto