Main Menu

Lower control arm pivot shaft 70 Challenger

Started by Mopar5, April 20, 2019, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Good guess ,Not a center punch but a metal gathering hammer

Jocigar

Hey guys sorry if I'm thread jacking, ran into the same problem trying to do lower control arms bushings this weekend using new moog bushings and the shaft slips in.   is it OK to knurl?  I brought the diameter .002 over the bushing ID

By the way bushing of measures .812 on one and .814 on the other... not great tolerance      Shafts were .811

Also, Should I add thread lock if knurling is ok ?

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I can see why Knurling it would work OK , but I have never tried it & I am not sure how it will work out in the long run  :alan2cents:

Jocigar

Thanks for the reply, turned out to be one of those projects that I wish I had just left the old bushings in place.

I am measuring the OD of the bushing now and it is almost .010" over size in some places, not sure if I can actually press that big of a difference

Is the function of this bushing in twist mode or tilt ?   

People must run into this constantly not sure how it gets addressed.

Maybe I will try ac delco, too bad I have a box full of new mood suspension parts from summit... not liking the moog at this moment.   so much for a weekend project  :headbang:

Chryco Psycho

Both , mostly it twists as the suspension moves up & down but it also keeps the arm level
It sucks that these repro parts are not made correctly anymore .