Main Menu

72-74 Challenger ”Restomods”

Started by dave73, July 31, 2018, 05:50:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Not sure about the paint.  I know it's a candy so you are seeing a base coat through the red.  The gray is a matte finish.  I actually like it on this car.  I'm usually not a fan of the header panel being a different color then the body on 72-74s.

I saw the car in person in August when it was still being built.  He told me he was flush mounting the tail lights because he didn't like how they were inset and angled from the factory.  I actually like the inset look.  Not sure I would have done that myself.  I know he has a LOT of time in the bumpers to get them to fit as nice as they do.  He also flush mounted the stock style side markers.

In August I noticed that the 73-74 license plate bracket was still on the rear valance.  I told him that it wasn't needed since he tucked the bumpers way in.  It looks like he got that taken off.  If I was going to customize the tail lights, I'd do away with the reverse lights and make all four tail lights. :alan2cents:

7212Mopar

If I go through all that, I would at least put in the newer V10 from the newer Viper or the Heliphant.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

318Stroker

Quote from: Burdar on December 28, 2018, 08:41:13 AMIf I was going to customize the tail lights, I'd do away with the reverse lights and make all four tail lights. :alan2cents:

I thought about that too. I got bored one day and pulled my lens to see if the left outboard would fit on the right inboard, and vice versa. No dice!
All 4 lenses have their own unique shape. It would be a ton of work, and probably require custom lenses to do what you suggest.

anlauto

Quote from: 318Stroker on December 28, 2018, 12:22:18 PM
Quote from: Burdar on December 28, 2018, 08:41:13 AMIf I was going to customize the tail lights, I'd do away with the reverse lights and make all four tail lights. :alan2cents:

I thought about that too. I got bored one day and pulled my lens to see if the left outboard would fit on the right inboard, and vice versa. No dice!
All 4 lenses have their own unique shape. It would be a ton of work, and probably require custom lenses to do what you suggest.

Just paint the reverse light lens transparent red and hook the bulb up to the brake lights :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on December 28, 2018, 12:43:13 PM

Yeah, that would work

Just paint the reverse light lens transparent red and hook the bulb up to the brake lights :brainiac:

dodj

Start of a '73 to '70 grille. It's about a $1000 swap.

And having a lift is awesome. Feel like sitting? 3' of the ground in no time. Feel like standing?, raise the car to 6'  in another 15 seconds. Should have bought one years ago.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

dave73

:grouphug:
Quote from: dodj on December 28, 2018, 02:45:09 PM

And having a lift is awesome. Feel like sitting? 3' of the ground in no time. Feel like standing?, raise the car to 6'  in another 15 seconds. Should have bought one years ago.

Lookin good. Did you buy 70 fenders or are you welding headlight buckets to the 73 fenders? Are you converting the rear as well?

dodj

Quote from: dave73chally on December 28, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
:grouphug:
Quote from: dodj on December 28, 2018, 02:45:09 PM

Lookin good. Did you buy 70 fenders or are you welding headlight buckets to the 73 fenders? Are you converting the rear as well?
I am adding the headlight bracket/bucket assy's to the '73 fenders. I am not converting the rear at this time. I may later. But I like all the Challenger tail assy's about the same. I have no preference.
I will change the side marker lights to '71 RR style next. But that change will only happen once I get more familiar with a paint gun.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: 318Stroker on December 28, 2018, 01:29:30 PM
Quote from: anlauto on December 28, 2018, 12:43:13 PM

Yeah, that would work

Lenses out and no trim the back is too flat now. Bumper truck is nice. Upper ledge of lower rear valance needs to be tucked in also. It stands out from bumper.
I do like the color. Even rear grey is good. Tastefully done but overall there are many "details" that stand out and don't flow with overall intent.
Cudos for using hood bulge as a plenum. I have similar plan for my twin T setup utilizing the hood vents for fresh air.
Downside is they are just boxes with no style to them. Need a hammer, dolly along with some rollers taken to them.

So close...IMHOP
Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.