Main Menu

72 Rallye Challenger Overspray

Started by atdoray, July 12, 2022, 11:35:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

atdoray

Hello, I've been looking at a 72 Rallye challenger that is being represented as original paint. I noticed overspray on multiple parts in the engine bay. Wedges, latches, hood bumpers etc. Can anyone tell me if this would be normal from possibly painting the front trim of the car. I am new to Rallye's and the owner is stating that this was normal due to how the Rallye cars were built/painted.

Burdar

No.  Wedges and rubber hood bumpers were not painted.  The hood latch was not painted but the striker attached to the hood was.

Remember the 72 Rallye will have a JS VIN.  If the VIN doesn't start with JS in 72, it's not a Rallye.  Just something to double check.

anlauto

100% no overspray from the factory on anything like that...now if he's an original owner and argues, there is a possibility it was repaired off line or even at the dealer before being sold new to it's first owner :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

I agree most likely NOT factory overspray on any of those parts. Ay pics, I would have to see it in person to be sure but I can spot a re-spray 99% of the time.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

atdoray

Here are some photos that we took. Notice one of them is the washer fluid line near the rear of the hood.

Burdar

You already know the answer.  Those things should not have overspray.  It's had some paint work in the past.  Look over everything else carefully.

anlauto

Yup 100% for sure has had paint work :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration