Main Menu

backglass molding clips

Started by Rbob, March 17, 2021, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Yeya93

@anlauto thank you for that look out. I will purchase that instead. I feel like I'm going left and right here. Haha but i can't complain for $11. Not bad at all imo

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

340Challman

Quote from: headejm on March 17, 2021, 02:04:55 PM
I just replaced the back glass on my 1970 SE.  When I removed the factory installed glass (pretty sure it was original) the metal clip was present and a tapered rubber block that when sitting on the clip, made a level surface.  If you look at the clip, you will see that it is not level when installed by itself. Sorry I don't have a photo of the rubber block but here is the clip installed. The rubber block is much smaller than the rubber block for the front.

Hi guys. In searching for info on the proper installation method for the windshield and back glass, I found this thread. I'm not at the point of installing my glass, but I am at the point of fitting everything due to replacing a lot of sheetmetal. I have the assembly/engineering drawings manual, but I am not understanding what it is showing me. So @headejm shows these "standoff" clips and mentions a rubber bumper as well. Can you guys give me a detailed explanation of the correct procedure for installation. Any pictures would be even better.  :help:
Thanks.
Kevin

headejm

@340Challman Let's start with the back glass first. I assume you have a new clip set for the chrome trim that goes around the window. My rear window clip kit came with two "standoff" clips that hold the glass up off of the window channel. See photo. The set does not come with the rubber spacers that sit on top of the "standoff" clips. The purpose of the rubber piece is to provide a level, cushion for the glass to sit on during installation. The clips are installed at an angle. Just make a wedge shaped rubber piece that provides a level surface. I have a couple of photos showing the installation of the clips.

Front glass - See photos. There are two indentations (one on each side of the cowl area) near the windshield wipers that accept a rubber block to also hold up and cushion the glass during installation. Do not install your windshield without these two rubber blocks. I've included a drawing of the blocks if you don't have your original ones.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions as needed.  :cheers:

340Challman

@headejm So the combination of clips and rubber on the back window centers the glass in the opening? Before installing the glass, you run the butyl tape inside the remaining space. It looks like there is only about a 1/4 inch at best of overlap. Is that correct or do I have a spacing/glass issue?

On the windshield, after installing the rubber, I'm assuming that raises the glass off of the windshield lip just slightly so there is no contact between the glass and the body. Then it's just butyl tape and the windshield right? All of the sealing is performed by the primer and butyl tape right?

Am I seeing it correctly that the reveal molding clips seat down at the bottom of the window channel front and back?
Thanks a bunch.
Kevin

headejm

Read this helpful summary. Sorry the text is a little fuzzy but I believe you can read it. If not, I can email it to you.

Butyl goes on the edge of the glass first.

Zero contact between the glass and the body.

Clips do not necessarily seat down to the bottom of the channel. You want the top of the clips to be 1/16 to 1/8 below the outside edge of the body. Do a test fit with your trim before installing the glass.

anlauto

My glass guy has been doing it for close to 40 years now, puts the butyl on the car first, so I guess there's more then one way to skin a cat  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340Challman

That is excellent! Very detailed write up. Exactly what I needed. Many many thanks.  :cheers:
Kevin

Mrbill426

Great information here!

@headejm regarding the back glass molding clips, I bought a set a while ago from Roseville (nice folks) that are supposed to be correct for the back glass but when I placed one on the (needing to be drilled) filler panel it appears to maybe be too high.  It is resting all the way down in the glass frame but sticks up above the top edge.   I bought a windshield set from them too and appear to be the same exact clips as the rear.  Before I start drilling holes in the filler panel and screwing the clips in, is this clip up too high, meaning too tall for the application?

headejm

@Mrbill426 Those are the wrong clips and sit too high. The correct clips, shown below sit about 1/16" below the body. The clips you have (I believe) are for installing over a post that is part of the glass channel. Later model E-bodies used posts instead of screws. You need the clips that take screws to install.

I assume you are working on a 1970 E-body? The 71-74 clips are also shown below. They don't come with screws and they are too tall for a 1970.  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

@headejm no, it is a 1972 'Cuda.  These are the two bags of clips they sent me, they are all the same size.  The problem appears to be just along the filler panel which was replaced with an AMD piece. I need to drill holes for screws in that panel.  My local NAPA has Balkamp clips that by a phone call are shorter; they carry Auveco hardware too so perhaps I'll find some.  The car otherwise has "pins" front and back.

Quote from: headejm on January 09, 2023, 11:26:10 PM
@Mrbill426 Those are the wrong clips and sit too high. The correct clips, shown below sit about 1/16" below the body. The clips you have (I believe) are for installing over a post that is part of the glass channel. Later model E-bodies used posts instead of screws. You need the clips that take screws to install.

I assume you are working on a 1970 E-body? The 71-74 clips are also shown below. They don't come with screws and they are too tall for a 1970.  :alan2cents:

headejm

@Mrbill426 Yep, looks like they installed a 1970 panel. Here are the clips that you need.

I'm curious about something now. Will your 1972 glass molding work with a 1970 rear panel? With 1970 molding clips? You will now have both. Someone on here knows the answer. @Burdar ?

Mrbill426

I ordered and just received new moldings that are were listed for 1970-1974 Barracudas.  The rear deck filler panel was also listed for 1970-'74 Barracudas; so I guess AMD stamped their barracuda rear deck filler panels based on the 1970 model and call it good for all four years. :dunno:

Quote from: headejm on January 10, 2023, 01:38:11 PM
@Mrbill426 Yep, looks like they installed a 1970 panel. Here are the clips that you need.

I'm curious about something now. Will your 1972 glass molding work with a 1970 rear panel? With 1970 molding clips? You will now have both. Someone on here knows the answer. @Burdar ?

Mrbill426

@headejm that is a good question  :clueless:

Quote from: headejm on January 10, 2023, 01:38:11 PM