Main Menu

Firm Feel Fast Ratio Pitman arm and Idler arm.....experiences?

Started by jt4406, July 30, 2017, 05:28:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jt4406

:brainiac: Considering a fast ratio pitman arm and idler arm set from Firm Feel for my challenger:

"  Firm Feel's new Fast Ratio Pitman Arms are forged similar to the T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas...changes stock steering into fast ratio....stock power steering ratio, 16:1, (3 1/2 turns lock to lock),  fast ratio pitman arm ratio is  12:1, (2 3/4 turns lock to lock).

Fast Ratio Pitman Arm
PAFRL0......$195 (Large)

Fast Ratio Idler Arm
IAFR0........$90  "

Any experiences with these items, opinions, worth the money and effort?
Jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

303 Mopar

FYI - they will not fit with some headers so just a warning.

340challconvert

Just as a side bar note:
I purchased both arms and have installed them on 70 A66, 340 convertible.

The longer arms are what creates the "fast ratio" steering, not necessarily the box

My understanding is that the the steering box is the same except that the "stops" are a little tighter in the "TA" box to prevent the tire from hitting the car frame in extreme turns.
You would have to be aware of this.

I installed the longer arms, and would like to modify my box to Firm Feel level 2.

I was going to wait and see how the car feels w just the longer arms before deciding to add the FF box. (Car is still apart and off the road)

If you do the arms and the modified box, would appreciate your feedback on how the car feels.
Thanks

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Fern

I had the standard power steering box with the stock arms. I changed to the FF fast ratio arms and pitman arm with the stage 3 box.
I was the best thing I ever done. Steering is tight and responsive.  :veryexcited:
I also installed upper control arms from FF. Might as well go all in. It made a great difference also.

RUNCHARGER

I installed them in my Hemi Cuda. They did not fit with the Hooker Headers (which are junk anyway so no loss). They speed up the ratio all right but I would have liked it even quicker, certainly a must do mod I think. Not sure if they work with TTI headers, I would chose the fast ratio over headers if it came to it again though.
Sheldon

jt4406

The car has stock HP manifolds, and no plans to install headers, so that's not an issue. I already do have the "firm feel" box as I had my original (98000 mile) stock power steering box rebuilt (probably 10-12 years ago) by Steer and Gear in Columbus and had it modified to their (at that time) firmest option available. They had three options at that time, but called it something different to what their website shows now. I have the receipt but it's buried somewhere. I have to say I have had zero issues with their work (I had it for several years before I got the car finished and put it into service), and am very pleased with the way the steering feels, I would like for it to be a little "quicker" though. I do not presently have issues with the tires rubbing at lock. Here's a pic of the box mounted on the K frame before I lowered the car down over it. Thanks for the replies.   Jess

Crash520

I have the stage two FF upgraded steering box, should have gone stage three. I also have FF F/R idler and pitman arms fitted with a small block and TTI Headers, plenty of room. However, the F/R arms being sold today by most are the longer arms from a C body, the splines on these are clocked half a spline out to the E body, which means to keep your steering wheel centred, one tie rod will be shorter than the other pending the spline you choose to mount the pitman arm onto the steering box with, (pitman arm isn't master splined)., now to some that's not a concern, others and me it was. I wanted my tie rods to be the same length for whatever reason, just my OCD. To have this my steering wheel centre was now mor like 3/9 o'clock!. To fix it I ground an angle wedge plate to put between the steering box and it's K meme we mount to rotate the steering box along the axis of the output shaft, this corrected my steering wheel centre and left my tie rods the same length AND better aligned the steering column plate where it passes through the floor(that the bolt triangle shaped plate). So for my OCD to be happy it was a little effort but I'm very very happy with how the car is to drive, I also installed the Moog offset UCA bushes to give me max caster. Also installed FF 1.06 torsion bars (go bigger) and their poly bushes everywhere else, finally a set of QA 1 shocks. So so nice to drive.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

JS29

I have A set, less than 10 miles on them. My car is manual steering, and I did not like it in tight spots and put it back to the way it was. If you are interested in them I would make you A good deal on them.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: JS29 on July 30, 2017, 01:13:32 PM
I have A set, less than 10 miles on them. My car is manual steering, and I did not like it in tight spots and put it back to the way it was. If you are interested in them I would make you A good deal on them.

If he isn't interested, I may be :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

JS29

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: JS29 on August 01, 2017, 06:24:13 AM
I am easy to get a hold of!!!  :bigthumb:

Put me in line if jt doesn't want it. What are you looking to get for em?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

jt4406

PM sent..........(thought I sent one other day :D, operator integrity (lack there of) I think) I was waiting for a reply :-[      jess

JS29