Main Menu

Buyer Beware: How Are You Managing the Buying Process??

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, November 08, 2022, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I have bought several items off the forum, all with good luck so far, mostly from people who are very active here and we connect via phone first.  Wondering what members are doing as a buyer for payment?  Most sellers are asking for Paypal "friends and family" to avoid fees / tax implications, which leaves the buyer with no recourse if the seller ghosts them.  I prefer to use the "goods and services" feature, and add on for the fees until I have at least had 1 experience with a seller.

Anybody taking the gamble and sending payment without speaking to the seller first other than here or email?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on November 08, 2022, 03:04:54 PM
I have bought several items off the forum, all with good luck so far, mostly from people who are very active here and we connect via phone first.  Wondering what members are doing as a buyer for payment?  Most sellers are asking for Paypal "friends and family" to avoid fees / tax implications, which leaves the buyer with no recourse if the seller ghosts them.  I prefer to use the "goods and services" feature, and add on for the fees until I have at least had 1 experience with a seller.

Anybody taking the gamble and sending payment without speaking to the seller first other than here or email?

Great subject Chris.

I have had nothing but good results from sellers here and other sites. I watch for long term posters and then proceed. Yes, the paypal reporting has created many issues and some are now just selling at swap meets. I did make a recent purchase here and opted to add another $5 to the total sent without being asked. The seller appreciated the small gesture for sure. I put myself on the other side of most similar things and go from there. Another major obstacle is shipping north over the border. Way too many hurdles and completely understand why few want to buy from the states. But on the other hand, it is easy to ship things to the states, other than an extra day or so. Cody blocks reported bas sellers fast and I have yet to do any purchase from Fakebook or similar.  Communication is the key!! 

Hope this helps you a little. And I am still looking for the scoops, LOL.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

@anlauto I tend to agree, especially since I was blocked when I first signed up because I didn't complete the profile as much as I should have.  That being said, I have been burned a couple of times and am not keen on sending $300-400 to someone I only have a handle on here and a gmail......am I over thinking it?  I certainly do not want to accuse anyone of being dishonest, just trying to navigate the digital world we live in and not get scammed by a Nigerian Prince tempting me with the elusive parts I need :haha:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Brads70

I'd say on here I'd trust most everyone as well. I'd look at a members post count, then look at a few of their posts to get an idea . Not an iron clad guarantee but your should be able to get a good idea of someone that way?  :alan2cents:

Rdchallenger

It'll probably bite me one day but until then I like to think most members here are pretty trustworthy. I usually send payment through PayPal F&F with minimum correspondence. Maybe a few messages back and forth on here.

ZippyZoo

I've bought a few things on the forum.  Like others said, just check the posts and what they've sold before.
I've not been burned.  And if something did go wrong, like not packed well and damaged, the seller has made it right.
Great folks on this site.

DrEamer

I have always just built the goods and services route into my pricing if I am selling, and always pay the extra to seller if I am buying. Most people never sell enough to have to claim it on their taxes, but for those that do, I can see where it might be a concern. My reason for using goods and services is in case something goes wrong with the other party, since it is a recorded transaction to PayPal. Also, it can save your tail if you need to file a claim for lost or damaged goods for insured shipping items. I have only had one lost item, but the  one time I needed it, I was able to get the postal service insurance to pay up.   

torredcuda

Goods and services unless I know them or they are well known in the community. It doesn`t hurt to just ask about someones reputation on here, I think I`ve done that myself as have others. If you offer to pay the extra for fees and they balk that`s a red flag to me.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Blowout

The trade count feature is a great tool on here and that helps feel confident.  Everyone on here has been great and you know based on activity and their posts. Anyone that reaches out to you offering something they have you're looking for and is a new member, I would watch for.

JH27N0B

It is frustrating trying to sell things these days. We took it for granted how good we had it before eBay went so far downhill, PayPal got greedy and the IRS decided that selling $600 or more of your clutter per year is income.
I'm not taking something I paid $50 for 15 years ago, selling it for $35, pay Pay Pal 4 or 5% of that for their fee, then going to the trouble of boxing it up and traveling to the USPS or UPS to ship, just to end up having the $35 reported on a 1099 in January if I sold some other stuff taking PayPal and it added up to over $600.
Far more trouble than it's worth!!!
If I sell something online now, it's friend and family, check or money order only.  Don't like it, no problem... I get it, but I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to do business with you.
I have done a few swap meets in recent times, for the first time in years.  I may list a few hard to find homes for items on eBay soon totaling under $600 since it's late in the year and won't risk getting a 1099.
But I'm afraid some things I have including vintage car parts will eventually get tossed eventually as there's few good hassle free ways to sell now.

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 09, 2022, 07:01:07 AM
It is frustrating trying to sell things these days. We took it for granted how good we had it before eBay went so far downhill, PayPal got greedy and the IRS decided that selling $600 or more of your clutter per year is income.
I'm not taking something I paid $50 for 15 years ago, selling it for $35, pay Pay Pal 4 or 5% of that for their fee, then going to the trouble of boxing it up and traveling to the USPS or UPS to ship, just to end up having the $35 reported on a 1099 in January if I sold some other stuff taking PayPal and it added up to over $600.
If I sell something online now, it's friend and family, check or money order only.  Don't like it, no problem... I get it, but I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to do business with you.
I have done a few swap meets in recent times, for the first time in years.  I may list a few hard to find homes for items on eBay soon totaling under $600 since it's late in the year and won't risk getting a 1099.
But I'm afraid some things I have including vintage car parts will eventually get tossed eventually as there's few good hassle free ways to sell now.

Agreed!  I started on eBay about 20 years ago - it was like a yard sale to the whole world, and fun.  Now it is a crappy version of Amazon where you lose 50% of the sale to fees if it is a low price item, and only 25% if it is a high priced item.  Explains why sellers are asking so much -0 you can't net out what it is worth anymore.

I offered to pay the fees - said he wouldn't have money for shipping because the funds would not be available; I offered my fedex account number for shipping, no response; gave my phone number and said give me a call, no response.  I am thinking TGTBT.

I do not mind the friends and family for members here, especially if they are active or we can connect on the phone - great people here that care about the hobby.  This one just felt off.

Great to hear all the input from sellers and buyers

torredcuda

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on November 09, 2022, 07:52:48 AM
Quote from: JH27N0B on November 09, 2022, 07:01:07 AM

Agreed!  I started on eBay about 20 years ago - it was like a yard sale to the whole world, and fun.  Now it is a crappy version of Amazon where you lose 50% of the sale to fees if it is a low price item, and only 25% if it is a high priced item.  Explains why sellers are asking so much -0 you can't net out what it is worth anymore.

I offered to pay the fees - said he wouldn't have money for shipping because the funds would not be available; I offered my fedex account number for shipping, no response; gave my phone number and said give me a call, no response.  I am thinking TGTBT.

I do not mind the friends and family for members here, especially if they are active or we can connect on the phone - great people here that care about the hobby.  This one just felt off.

Great to hear all the input from sellers and buyers

Not having money for shipping and other excuses are typical scammer tactics, I`d run from that one.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70_440-6Cuda

TWS

Paul Hertz using and AOL account is a current scammer out there trolling wanted ads on this site.