Main Menu

Correct rallye dash for a 71 e-body

Started by xx88man, January 12, 2020, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I will eventually put a rallye dash in my 71 Challenger...... what switch panel is correct? What are other differences? I have a cluster with 8k tach but apparently the bezel I have is for a 72-74? What do I need to look for? Is the heater control different as well? My car already has 3-speed wiper motor
Thanks for your help
Keep yer foot in it

Cuda Cody

Do you plan to put a new metal wood grain face on the plastic or would you prefer to find a good used one and use it as is?

Morty426

Here are the parts you need.

1.  Cluster Assembly
For 71 the gauges include a 8K tach and the clock (IIRC - I need to confirm when I get home) uses a cable (later models had a direct knob that went through the clear bezel.  The finish bezels have a different color than newer ones.  The big differences are the large bezel has a seat belt light to the far left and the switch panel has pictures of the functions along with text. 

The switch panel has 3 or 4 holes depending on the cars options.  The 4th hole is for convertible top or rear window defogger. 

2.  Light Bar
The light bar is different.

3.  Heater Panel
This is different and there are 4 different ones for Rallye Gauges
- Standard Heater
- Standard Heater w/ Radio Balance Knob
- AC
- AC w/ Radio Balance Knob

4.  Wiring Harness
Pretty much every year is different and there are little sub harnesses depending on your cars options.  However all Rallye gauge harness will work with minimal modification. 

For reference
https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/rallye-dash-differences/3639/15

xx88man

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 12, 2020, 09:07:21 PM
Do you plan to put a new metal wood grain face on the plastic or would you prefer to find a good used one and use it as is?

I was thinking I would need a used part..... didn't know this was an option??
Keep yer foot in it

Jay Bee

You also need an oil pressure sending unit. The gauge uses a different one than the light.

Morty426

Quote from: xx88man on January 13, 2020, 05:11:14 AM

Yes those came out a couple years ago.  The trick is you need to form the curves since they ship flat. 

anlauto

Quote from: Morty426 on January 13, 2020, 05:50:03 AM
Quote from: xx88man on January 13, 2020, 05:11:14 AM

Yes those came out a couple years ago.  The trick is you need to form the curves since they ship flat.

The best quality woodgrain face plates are available from PERFORMANCE CAR GRAPHICS and the are shipped already curved. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

There are some rallye gauge parts for sale close to me.... what should I look for specifically for a 71?
Not buying a cluster
Keep yer foot in it

Morty426

Quote from: xx88man on January 14, 2020, 10:09:33 AM
There are some rallye gauge parts for sale close to me.... what should I look for specifically for a 71?
Not buying a cluster

I think I already answered that but which parts?

RUNCHARGER

I have a complete 71 setup as well. Everything except the wiring harness.
Sheldon

xx88man

Quote from: Morty426 on January 14, 2020, 05:19:15 PM
Quote from: xx88man on January 14, 2020, 10:09:33 AM
Not buying a cluster

I think I already answered that but which parts?

Switch panel and bezel
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 14, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
I have a complete 71 setup as well. Everything except the wiring harness.

I'm working stupid long days but I'll get in touch. Thanks Sheldon
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha! Not me, I'm enjoying staying inside and looking over the city! Just call me if you want to look at it.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

Quote from: xx88man on January 15, 2020, 05:34:16 AM
Switch panel and bezel

Here's what a typical 70 - 71 switch panel looks like with 3 switches'

Burdar

That switch panel was used all the way up until early 73.  My October 72 built 73 came with the same one.  Later on during 73 production, the switch panel changed.  The pictures were added beside the switches and "headlamps" was changed to "lights".