Main Menu

Dash / Vintage Air Duct question

Started by ledphoot, April 08, 2021, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Hey guys,

My buddy and I were trying to assemble the dash tonight to throw it back in the car and since it was over a year ago we of course forgot how this goes together.. :(

Anyway, reading the instructions from Vintage Air it says that the ducts they sent screw in to the factory locations... Looking at the ducts and the factory locations this doesn't add up.

Anybody done the vintage air thing? Am I missing a piece? Do I have the wrong ducts?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ledphoot

This is the instructions from Vintage Air and I just don't see how these ducts line up as described :)

ledphoot

Could powder coating have covered the factory holes??? The factory defrost duct doesn't appear to align with any holes either. Confounding...

anlauto

The ducts, both the factory and aftermarket, bolt to the car NOT the dash  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

That makes sense.

Now I feel like an r-tard.

ledphoot

Looking at this picture I found it makes more sense than vintage air's instructions LoL. I shouldn't have looked at the Vintage Air document and took it so literally. Hopefully I don't have too many more brain farts. The goal is to get the dash back in the car this weekend. Thanks again.

anlauto

Everybody has a brain fart now and then :console: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparCarGuy

@anlauto got you on track. I put this together to show the big picture on the defroster ducts. Used your pics. Note the Vintage Air defroster ducts have the hose connections toward the center of the dash at the green oval locations.
Hope it adds clarity for everyone else, too. LOL

ledphoot

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I went out to the shop this morning and was like du'oh. ;)

I guess trying to figure things out that you haven't looked at for over a year after dinner and a couple of beers isn't the smartest approach. LoL

Thanks again!

Swamp Donkey

If I want to add vintage air to my non ac Cuda, what all do I have to change on my stock dash? I'm definitely getting a new dash pad. But hopefully I don't have to scrounge around swap meets and eBay for an A/C dash.  🤷🏻‍♂️
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

ledphoot

I believe they have retrofit kits for non-ac cars that vent out below the dash towards passengers.

MoparCarGuy

There are a variety of kits on the Vintage Air site. You can download the installation manual for the kit that meets your requirements to see what it takes to install.
Vintage Air Kits for 1970-1974 E-Body:
https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/complete-kits/?make=Plymouth&year1=1970&model=Cuda

Swamp Donkey

Cool.  Thanks.  Sounds easy enough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

ledphoot

So I got the dash back in the car. THANK YOU for the help, would have taken me another hour or two of going WTF  on my own before looking in the car and figuring it out :bricks:

Those bolts that secure the dash to the car can be a REAL B***H to get installed, especially the two top center bolts. Holy crap, I almost took the windshield out I was so frustrated... A good magnet, a strong flashlight, a lot of patience and 30 minutes later those two bolts were in.

Looking forward to getting this car wrapped up, progress is slow, but steady.

YellowThumper

Looking forward to a vintage air install on mine hopefully soon.
Your miscues should help to eliminate mine.

Thank you.............
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.