Main Menu

Dynamat for interior

Started by fc7cuda, January 05, 2017, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bills Auto Works

I bought the Fatmat off of ebay as well, a buddy like mine so much he took the roll, so I had to buy another. lol It is quite a bit less than Dynamat, not quite as thick, but if you are weight conscience that is a plus!
Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

headejm

What quantity is required to do an E-body!  :notsure:

Timbbuc2

I bought 20 sq ft. Floor is done, have enough left  to do my roof
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on January 06, 2017, 01:02:26 PM
I bought 20 sq ft. Floor is done, have enough left  to do my roof

You have a picture of that ? I thought last one I did I whistled through closer to 100 sq/ft :notsure:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Timbbuc2

You are right LOL,72 sq ft is what I bought, this is what I have done now, have not done the doors, I do have enough to do the roof
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

Yea that makes more sense.....I was thinking NO WAY it was only 20 :stop:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  It takes around 70 to 90 feet to do a car.  Make sure to do the insides of the doors too.  When you ride in a car that has been sound deadened correctly it is a big difference.  Don't skip this step.  And do the package tray like shown in Alan's photos.   :yes:

headejm

Inside the doors? Against the sheet metal? Can you post any pictures? :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Yes, above and below the cross beam that is inside the door.  Right on the sheet metal that is the outside of the car.   I don't think I have any photos of it installed, but it's pretty easy to see it can only go above and below that impact cross beam.  You have to have the windows out to install it. 

Quote from: headejm on January 06, 2017, 03:08:17 PM
Inside the doors? Against the sheet metal? Can you post any pictures? :notsure:

Shoooter

I was just going to email you Cody about this. I haven't done my doors yet amd wanted more info. So what you are saying is put the sound deadner between the door skin and the window if it was down and installed? (The window would have to be removed for it to work) if you did put it there would it still be required to do it on the door like Alan did ? It looks like I'm going to be about 10ft short . I'll have to get more

Cuda Cody

@Shoooter  you might be able to work it in there with the window installed and rolled up, but I always do it before they are installed.  And the better you are with installing the sound deadener, the more solid the car will sound when you are driving.  It really cuts down on road noise.   I've done with with and without the deadener on the door like Alan and if you have enough you should do it.  :alan2cents:

Quote from: Shoooter on January 06, 2017, 08:44:29 PM
I was just going to email you Cody about this. I haven't done my doors yet amd wanted more info. So what you are saying is put the sound deadner between the door skin and the window if it was down and installed? (The window would have to be removed for it to work) if you did put it there would it still be required to do it on the door like Alan did ? It looks like I'm going to be about 10ft short . I'll have to get more

fc7cuda

Alan,

I like your thoroughness on that interior, did you also line the forward facing side of the trunk divider?

Cody,

Is it needed to line both the inner door skins and the door frame?  Just trying to save costs on some material if possible.

Thanks
Tom

anlauto

That was awhile ago, I believe I used a thicker matting on the divider...

Cuda Cody

By putting it on the inside of the outside door skin it improves the sound of the door shutting.  But if you're good with the sound of the door shutting without it on there, then putting it on one or the other should be fine for keeping road noise out.

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 07, 2017, 10:45:27 AM
Cody,

Is it needed to line both the inner door skins and the door frame?  Just trying to save costs on some material if possible.

Thanks
Tom

Timbbuc2

Had not thought about the package tray, I will do that too.
Get in, I'll drive