Main Menu

Engine Fire on Hemi Today

Started by Topcat, July 25, 2020, 07:36:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I bought the PowerMaster Alternator.
Which wasn't the problem. (Here's comes the Peanut gallery)

What might've been the igniter, was there wasn't a plastic insulator on the back.
But I drove it like this for...What...5 years?

Topcat

Quote from: wldgtx on July 28, 2020, 01:04:06 PM
Coming from someone who survived a car fire (different circumstances) First let me say I am glad YOU are okay.

That said, I am glad to hear that you had an extinguisher and were able to stop the fire and possible damage.  It looks fixable and few folks mentioned insurance, and I TOTALLY agree, it is nothing that you should do on your own, that is why you pay for the insurance in the first place.  Best of Luck!

I'm not at a 0% deductible, so being about $300 damage leads to...Just do it yourself.
It's getting friggin Hot out here now.

No car shows so on a wait till September perhaps.
All the parts are ordered this week except  magnetic pick up. (Wire was burned) 

Good news...Dodged a Bullet. Firecore wires look to be re usable.   

Topcat

Quote from: RzeroB on July 26, 2020, 10:32:40 PM
Holy cow Mike!! Good thing you had the extinguisher handy and had the presence of mind to go get it!! Great save!! I probably would have panicked, ran around in a circle screaming and lost the whole car!!

Ironically, I work in Fire & Sprinkler, & Monitoring inspections for ADT Commercial.

Quote from: dodj on July 27, 2020, 04:45:55 AM
If your investigations determine the cause, I'd be interested in hearing about it as well as the type of extinguisher you had, since it did the job required of it.

It was a  2.5 lb. ABC. which covers many types of combustibles.

Never point the extinguisher at the top of the fire.
Point it just before the base to extinguish and stop Oxygen and Fuel.   ;)   

@CODY knows this stuff I bet.  ;)

http://www.brkelectronics.com/faqs/mro/what-do-the-abc-ratings-mean-on-fire-extinguishers

Topcat

Well, well, well....   

It's been a while.

So friggin hot in the garage and cleaning extinguisher dust has been delays in firing up the car.

Until today.

Fuel gushing up on fire up today when trying to fire up and was spurting up out of the small hole on top of the fuel pump when cranking over. ECU pick up connector was right above it.

This means the bellows inside the pump, dry rotted out and leaked through to the atmosphere dry side.
Cranking the engine made a Geyser of fuel up which shorted the ECU connector together and that was no doubt what created the engine Harness Fire.

Ethanol sucks!!!!  :foul:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

autoxcuda

Quote from: Topcat on October 17, 2020, 06:01:26 PM
Well, well, well....   

It's been a while.

So friggin hot in the garage and cleaning extinguisher dust has been delays in firing up the car.

Until today.

Fuel gushing up on fire up today when trying to fire up and was spurting up out of the small hole on top of the fuel pump when cranking over. ECU pick up connector was right above it.

This means the bellows inside the pump, dry rotted out and leaked through to the atmosphere dry side.
Cranking the engine made a Geyser of fuel up which shorted the ECU connector together and that was no doubt what created the engine Harness Fire.

Ethanol sucks!!!!  :foul:

Earlier this year had the same exact this in my 68 Barracuda. But no fire.

BTW Edelbrock makes a repair kit rubber for that.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Topcat

@floorit426 were hanging out again today and he turned me onto a place that recently Re-did his Carter pump a few months back.

Then & Now Automotive in MA.
https://www.then-now-auto.com/

Apparently they upgrade some of the internal rubber parts. r
Will contact them and re confirm.

Topcat

Was it Ethanol or was it China that caused the fire?

YellowThumper

An answer that will never be known...
However, learning the initial cause is much better answer.

Glad you are progressing. Albeit slow.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Topcat

This reminds me a lot of Offshore Fishing reels.
They go thru Hell resisting the elements.

The elements just got harder now with Ethanol fuel.
Upgrade is a Must now.

Topcat

3,000 miles away, one week ago, I sent my pump out to Then & Now Automotive in Mass.
Received it today. 7 day turn around at a very affordable price.    :unbelievable:

The pump diaphragm rubber parts they have is Ethanol Resistant.  :yes:

And to get it all done....Replace your accelerator pump boots with the Blue Ethanol resistant foamy's.

Then replace all lower fuel lines with Ethanol resistant rubber. I just bought 5 feet of it online.

Scooter

Glad to see you figured it out and are making progress!  :bigthumb: