Main Menu

Fix screw holes in wheel center cap ?

Started by Racer57, September 23, 2024, 06:57:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

mtull

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 26, 2024, 05:43:44 PM@mtull the ONE NOS center cap I was able to obtain had zero threads. I am under the belief that the factory bolt was machined in such a way as to cut it's own threads. That when combined with the less than desired pot metal (my term), these threads were made to fail. I am absolutely certain I did the right thing by drilling out the old threads slightly and inserting 1/4" helicoils into a freshly tapped 5/16 thread. The coils lock down incredibly.
Exactly the info I was looking for, thank you

YellowThumper

Quote from: mtull on September 25, 2024, 04:19:03 PMWhile were on the topic of center cap screw holes, is it best practice to tap the holes if the center cap has never been used or do they come already tapped?

Yes the screws are self tapping. So in theory (because factory did) you can also.
However, I would personally tap them first. If original they are 50+ tears old now. And may be more brittle.
If aftermarket I would not trust the hols to be correct sizes for the self tappers.
Lastly, using a tap would be vastly sharper for cutting threads cleanly. Less chance of pushout.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.