Main Menu

Future parts availability

Started by blown motor, July 08, 2022, 10:09:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I just redid the rear drum brakes on my car. The last time they were done was 10 years ago. It got me thinking about parts availability in the future. Will I be able to get parts to do them again in ten or 15 years? Debating with myself if I should pick up a full set of everything for the next go around as well as bearings, seals, ECU, U-joints, etc, etc.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

cuda hunter

Good idea.  Put them in a labeled box and in ten years when you can not find them you will have them.  If they are still available in ten years then you have saved money by having the next change ten years out from that.  Parts probably aren't going to be getting "better" with time either. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JH27N0B

I was just commenting on a very similar issue to this on FBBO this morning.
A member with a 4 wheel drum '71 was wondering if a 1" 67-70 drum MC he saw on eBay would be ok for a replacement for his leaky MC.
I said why not buy a proper 1-1/32 one?
Then I looked online and found none.  They used to be available but apparently now are discontinued.
In recent years it seems like MC rebuild kits have also disappeared off the market after being readily available for most cars for the last half century.
Where does this all end up, is there a time coming where we can't buy brake parts to keep our cars on the road?
I have some brake parts stockpiled. Some would heap scorn on those who hoard parts, and I'd agree that those who have a ton of parts stashed away they'll never use are not doing anybody any good, but that's different than keeping a stash of parts on the shelf to service your cars, rather than taking it for granted you can just go to NAPA or Rock Auto in the future when you need something, and the parts you want will be there.
The other thing concerning is some repro stuff disappearing. The ECS trunk mats and the 340 exhaust manifold heat shields being several recent examples.
I was just looking at my 71 yesterday thinking about a couple updates I want to do "someday". Tony's parts has some parts I need for these updates.  It occurred to me I better buy those parts now rather than wait and find myself in a couple years kicking myself as those parts aren't available now!

Mr Cuda

I try to keep a supply of common wear items on the shelf. There is a slight difference between Restoration  grade parts and parts that  work but look incorrect.
For example,  your car will stop fine with an aluminum  master cylinder,.
My fear is just the quality  of replacement parts. Or as we call them, "will fit".