Main Menu

If you need rear frame rails on your Cuda or Challenger you must have this!!!

Started by Mymcodebee, August 27, 2018, 06:34:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mymcodebee

I have no affiliation or am a vendor for this part.  I typically get all of my sheet metal from Jeff at 521 Resto but he does not sell this piece.

Just trying to save you guys about 30-40 hours of crappy work if you need this part replaced!

So I have a rusty Cuda that needs some structural parts for the rear of the car like many of our cars do.
I have done many projects where I have added the frame rails, then the trunk, gas tank straps, shock cross member etc..
If you have done it you know its a bid job and takes considerable time and labor. 

I decided to try Dynacorn's part they list for this section of the car.   I knew they made this piece as my brother had bought one years ago.  It was a great looking piece but we never actually used it as the car was sold before we had a chance to try it out. 

I heard a rumor which turns out to be true that Dynacorn is not make the Challenger shells anymore so I was a bit worried they would stop making this part.  Turns out they have not and you can order one now from one of there vendors and have it within a week.  I had this dropped ship to a new car dealer that is a vendor of theirs in my home state. 

The piece is very very nice.  Dimensions are right on and comes with gas tank straps, rear muffler brackets, both exhaust hanger brackets with backing plate for the driver side and comes in weld thru primer which is new as the old one my brother bought was in the E Coat black primer. 

So this is a Challenger part as you know however I was going to simply move the gas tank hole and (shock access holes depending on if you have a 71 or 70).  The good news is they did not cut out either gas tank hole. 
   As you know the Challenger has a longer wheel base but that dimension is in small floor pan section that is just in front of the section of this piece.   I am using this piece for my Cuda.  I have a jig with factory dimension and locations and will let you guys know this week how well it sits on the jig but from my rough dimensions I have taken so far, everything is very close! 
  Now for the good part!!  The piece is $1150.00!!!! 
Add up the cost... It not even close to buying the individual parts for this price..

Frame rails-- $600 set
Under Seat Floor Pan- $400-500
Trunk Floor-$400
Gas tank straps...
Gas tank brackets....
Shock Crossmember..
Rear Bumber Crossbrace...
Muffler Brackets...
Muffler Hangers...

As you can see you cant go wrong.
I will be buying a couple more when money permits!

RUNCHARGER

That is the way to go. Alan posted this a while back and I think that is the only way to fly.
Sheldon

anlauto

Yup...installed a couple of them now...real time saver  :ohyeah:

Have you asked your brother about his sunroof yet?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

superdave

With no good explanation other than I'm a bit of a purist ... I would like to keep as much origional metal as I can :pokeeye: . My trunk is in good shape with some work needed in the back 6 inches to a foot. Frame rails ar good except the section where the leaf springs attach. All that being said that does seem like a pretty good idea. :thinking:  :popcorn:

Mymcodebee

Quote from: superdave on August 27, 2018, 07:43:33 AM
With no good explanation other than I'm a bit of a purist ... I would like to keep as much origional metal as I can :pokeeye: . My trunk is in good shape with some work needed in the back 6 inches to a foot. Frame rails ar good except the section where the leaf springs attach. All that being said that does seem like a pretty good idea. :thinking:  :popcorn:

Oh.  I agree.  This is an option for cars have nothing left to attach to really.. 

I wish they would do this for second gen chargers. I emailed them and asked them too... but no dice.

They stated today when I called that they dropped the challenger do to lack of having every piece they need to complete the car and the prices with mopars.. 

Rich G.

Wish I had this when I did my Cuda. I never knew something like this was ever made. Is the thickness of the frame rails and sheet metal the same as the AMD metal!

Mymcodebee

Quote from: anlauto on August 27, 2018, 07:32:17 AM
Yup...installed a couple of them now...real time saver  :ohyeah:

Have you asked your brother about his sunroof yet?

Alan I'm going to PM you his phone number.  Give him a shout.  He not great at get back with email.
Phone is easier.
He works third shift so he'll be up by noon. 

340challconvert

Wow, price on line = $1370
Great piece to keep for self or make a profit down the line!
:banana:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Mymcodebee

Yes.  Probably same stamp as AMD metal.   I called to see if they were fabbing them in states and they are not unfortunately as I was going to have them fab a couple front pieces together for me..  They cant do that but they can if you have a mustang as they do those in the states... 

My $1150.00 price did not include the $200 ship price.  It is very heavy!
So $1350 shipping included is in line with what I paid. 

BIGSHCLUNK

Thank God I don't need it.... But if I did, it looks like the way to go!

Beetle

So what I'm reading here is they are no longer making this because of running out of parts? As of Aug 2018. That really sucks I had my hopes on getting one. I've decided to "rigg" mine with stainless steel Ive cut and fabed pieces that go over the rear rails and trunk flook bolted them on now I need to welded it. I'm going to weld thru from the inside of trunk penetrating into the new stainless frame rails its no show car Anyway. And now I can trust it from pushing thru my trunk or pulling apart from frame rails.

Topcat

Quote from: Beetle on September 30, 2018, 09:34:52 AM
So what I'm reading here is they are no longer making this because of running out of parts? As of Aug 2018. That really sucks I had my hopes on getting one. I've decided to "rigg" mine with stainless steel Ive cut and fabed pieces that go over the rear rails and trunk flook bolted them on now I need to welded it. I'm going to weld thru from the inside of trunk penetrating into the new stainless frame rails its no show car Anyway. And now I can trust it from pushing thru my trunk or pulling apart from frame rails.

Welcome Beetle.

Please share with us your project in the Newbie section.   

https://forum.e-bodies.org/new-members-introductions-roseville-moparts/3/

RUNCHARGER

I'll try to remember to try and order one of these tomorrow. It would be a nice piece to have for a future project I think.
Sheldon

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel