Main Menu

LED bulbs replacing OE bulbs?

Started by Convertcuda, February 19, 2019, 07:21:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Convertcuda

Is it worth while to replace all the bulbs in an ebody with LED? Any pros and cons?  Thanks Ken.

Cuda Cody

I'm old, but I can still see the dash just fine with the stock bulbs.  Are you talking about the headlights or something else?

Convertcuda

dodj

IMO, no real advantage. You can argue you are reducing the overall current demand on the system and it is true, you are. But not to a degree that is going to amount to much.
I did it because I like tinkering with electrical/electronics. My tail lights and turn signals are a bit brighter. Colour shade is a bit different.
LED headlights I have not looked into for a couple years.
Relays for the headlights is definitely a 'must do' in my book. You will have brighter headlights and reduce chances of problems with the B/H connector.
:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: dodj on February 20, 2019, 04:59:52 AM

LED headlights I have not looked into for a couple years.
Relays for the headlights is definitely a 'must do' in my book. You will have brighter headlights and reduce chances of problems with the B/H connector.
:alan2cents:

THE HEADLIGHT RELAYS ARE EASY... just watch my video ...........

Racer57

I replaced the bulbs for my dash with LEDs and I actually have to turn them down a little.  :banana:

Convertcuda

Quote from: Racer57 on February 20, 2019, 08:30:04 AM
I replaced the bulbs for my dash with LEDs and I actually have to turn them down a little.  :banana:

Could you share which ones you bought? Thanks Ken

e_body70

I actually just purchased some LED bulbs on eBay yesterday to replace the stock bulbs; cheap too ($6 for 10 bulbs).  They are the BA9S LED bulbs.  Someone on the E-Bodies.org Facebook page used these bulbs for their dash; see attached pictures of the bulb and the finished product of them installed on that persons e-body dash.

Racer57

Quote from: Convertcuda on February 20, 2019, 07:10:06 PM

I used the ones pictured below your post. Except I used green bulbs along with the factory's blue lenses. The holes for the bulbs in the light panel are very slightly (at least with mine) smaller than the leds. I was able to work a couple into the hole, but finally got a file and very slightly enlarged them.  I also painted the blubs  background with chrome paint. I put one in the glove box and had to tape over about 3/4 of it because you could see it shining around the lid.   :D  My local NAPA had them.

HP2

Quote from: e_body70 on February 20, 2019, 07:44:21 PM
I actually just purchased some LED bulbs on eBay yesterday to replace the stock bulbs; cheap too ($6 for 10 bulbs).  They are the BA9S LED bulbs.  Someone on the E-Bodies.org Facebook page used these bulbs for their dash; see attached pictures of the bulb and the finished product of them installed on that persons e-body dash.

That is a freaking steal. I just picked up a similar package along with some bayonet bulbs from superbrightleds.com and paid $45 for the dozen. I also found out Herbs offers a dash bulb kit for $23.  I may have to examine the return policy on my recent purchase. I was all happy about it because the local parts stores get $15 for a pair of leds, so $45 appeared to be a much better deal than $90

Advantages of using leds; they may be brighter. There are versions offering from 1 to 5 leds in them, so  the total lumens can be lower, equal to or higher than stock depending on the version you get. They do last longer, they  do pull fewer amps, and they do not generate the heat a traditional filament bulb does. They also come in colors (3 shades of white, blue, green, red, orange, violet, etc)  so if you wanted to change the dash appearance, its possible. IMO, that list is definetely worth $6, it might be worth $23, not so sure its worth $45 now that this discussion has come up.

If you replace the exteriors bulbs, you may need to either add resistors or change to a no load flasher to still allow the turn and hazard signals to work.

dodj

Quote from: HP2 on February 21, 2019, 07:42:05 AM
If you replace the exteriors bulbs, you may need to either add resistors or change to a no load flasher to still allow the turn and hazard signals to work.
And sometimes reverse the polarity of the factory flasher connector. Not sure why it is just "sometimes". I had to reverse the polarity, and a friend of mine had to but I've heard from others on the forums that said they didn't have to?  :thinking:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Katfish

The reduction in current drain can be significant, anywhere from 10-20A.
This is especially important if you have the original wiring.
Any time you can reduce current draw, it's a win-win.

Katfish

Quote from: Racer57 on February 20, 2019, 08:27:02 PM
Quote from: Convertcuda on February 20, 2019, 07:10:06 PM

I used the ones pictured below your post. Except I used green bulbs along with the factory's blue lenses. The holes for the bulbs in the light panel are very slightly (at least with mine) smaller than the leds. I was able to work a couple into the hole, but finally got a file and very slightly enlarged them.  I also painted the blubs  background with chrome paint. I put one in the glove box and had to tape over about 3/4 of it because you could see it shining around the lid.   :D  My local NAPA had them.

Glovebox light is switched, shouldn't come on unless it's open.
Anyone find a LED for the ashtray light?  That is on continuously.

Racer57

QuoteGlovebox light is switched, shouldn't come on unless it's open.
Theres suppose to be a switch ?!?!?   :D :D :D

Katfish

Quote from: Racer57 on February 27, 2019, 06:07:23 AM
QuoteGlovebox light is switched, shouldn't come on unless it's open.
Theres suppose to be a switch ?!?!?   :D :D :D

Yes, push button on right side of dash frame by hinge.
Glovebox door activates it.

Edit, as my memory kicks in, the bulb socket IS the switch.