Main Menu

Lots of projects

Started by blown motor, December 30, 2018, 07:56:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I just went through the Cars For Sale section of the forum for 2018. There were 17 Challenger and 28 Cuda projects listed over the year. I have not gone through the Stuff Found on eBay, Craiglist section so there is certainly a bunch more. There seems to be no shortage of projects out there especially when you consider that this is just one place where they get listed. How many more are there that we never see? I don't think they are as rare as some sellers would like us to believe.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

With the introduction of AMD sheet metal over the last 10 years....cheap "parts cars" have now become expensive "project cars" :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: blown motor on December 30, 2018, 07:56:09 AM
I don't think they are as rare as some sellers would like us to believe.

I've thought the exact same thing at times.  And there's a bunch I don't think are logically "worth" saving (Alan's comment) . Time vs money vs value vs fantasy island vs reality check . I know give or take a few K what's into mine.  :rubeyes:   :Thud: 

71vert340

And everyone thinks their project cars are gold mines. I'm currently working on my 74 Rallye Charger and it doesn't need any sheet metal - no rust. The little parts add up and are killing my budget. . It's going to be a car to enjoy. Then I look at the 71 Challenger hardtop I have and my 71 vert and think I need to replace things on them. The cars just sitting there and being started once in a while deteriorate. I have another 74 Charger project car waiting outside for it's turn and all I see are $$s. My projects don't need panel replacement. It's getting too expensive. A show only car restored to show standards would be too much. I think it may be time to sell and take up bird ( the kind with feathers, not the Plymouth ones) watching. I already have the binoculars :dunno:.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

My last two build budgets are way out of date but they went like this: Complete, painted project cars $20k, Engine and trans $20k, assorted parts, tires, exhaust, interior, brakes etc. $25k. Everthing has went up now and you won't find a painted, complete project car for $20k of any decent quality.
Sheldon

Rich G.

The sad thing is the people who know how to restore them won't pay the ridiculous price the people who know nothing about them that are trying to sell them for so they continue to sit and rot away! I don't think you're going to make money restoring these cars unless you cut a lot of corners but then it's just a nice driver. You have to figure about what you think it will cost and then double it and you might be close. LOL life is short, enjoy the ride!

anlauto

No truer words have been spoken :worship:  ... and the people who are hoarding all the rare projects with the best intentions will die with them because they don't have the means to restore them correctly and they think they are worth millions as projects, but buyers won't pay it because they would be upside down quickly it's a vicious circle :'( :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

blown motor

And there's nothing wrong with just a nice driver. Save some restoration cost and put that money into gas and tires. Then drive the wheels off it.  :burnout:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71vert340

My son and I worked on a 71 Challenger 318 hardtop that was left sitting outside a friend's shop for a long time. It was missing a lot of parts including engine and trans but was a roller. We spent about $9k fixing it up to be a nice driver. I used mostly spare parts I had, changing it from a column shift auto to a 4 speed.  I welded in to metal to fix the rusted areas, the largest about 2 inches in size in the rear quarter panel and rear window area. People thought I was crazy for spending that much. My son painted the car with my guidance and he and his mother installed the complete interior except for the dash which my son and I did. My 74 Charger Rallye I'm working on now will cost me about $12k by the time I'm done from disassembly to driving it. I'm doing all the work. A show car, no. But a nice driver. Here's photos of the 71 we did so he could drive it to high school. I still have the car and it's his when he wants it..
Terry

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: blown motor on December 30, 2018, 10:30:20 AM
And there's nothing wrong with just a nice driver. Save some restoration cost and put that money into gas and tires. Then drive the wheels off it.  :burnout:
Murray, you and I have had that discussion. And in 20 years 95% of these cars wont be worth jack... cause most of us will be gone or incapable of driving. Anybody remember when 59 Caddies were bringing all the money?????  .... now apply my last statement.  And yes I KNOW ...the 1 of  1 HEMI blah blah blah.....

Pentastarnut

show cars are nice but how many people get out there and drive them, i mean REALLY DRIVE THEM like race day running 12 rounds of 1/4 mile, or go do an autocross event, or let's go to to coast this weekend and let's take the Cuda. i have a bud who restored a 71 Super Bee to perfection. it's been complete for 10 years and it might have 8 miles on it...from trailer to show field, show field to trailer, repeat

anlauto

Well I've said it a 100 times and I'll say it again....This hobby is big enough for all of us.....from the guy that hoards project cars that will never get finished to your buddy with 8 miles on his Super Bee.....

This hobby means different things to different people....Some people can't stand looking at small imperfections on their cars, some people add them every 100 miles....it doesn't really matter.....we're all in this for the love of the E Body :inlove:

Rich G.

A nice driver is probably the best car to have and drive because there just as cool as the perfect cars but you don't have to worry about every little thing. I use to worry about getting any little spot on my car but as I get older I try not to let that stuff bother me anymore and drive and really enjoy the car like it was made for. If something should happen it'll get fixed again.

dodj

Having a '73 driver rather than a 70-71 trailer queen helps keep your stress level down. Put a non-original part on it and nobody cares. If it was a 70 v-code, and modify it, people lose their mind. Well...shake their head anyway....Alan loses his Sh&#...lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

303 Mopar

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on December 30, 2018, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: blown motor on December 30, 2018, 10:30:20 AM
Murray, you and I have had that discussion. And in 20 years 95% of these cars wont be worth jack... cause most of us will be gone or incapable of driving. Anybody remember when 59 Caddies were bringing all the money?????  .... now apply my last statement.  And yes I KNOW ...the 1 of  1 HEMI blah blah blah.....

I respect the guys that restore cars to a OE Gold restoration, or that have a 1 or whatever car. However, I don't get the excitement of putting your car in a trailer, driving hours/days, unloading it to a spot in a booth and sitting all weekend, arguing with the "experts" about some bolt or nut is installed the wrong way, maybe winning a plaque or piece of plastic, loading it back up and then driving hours/days home. One of the best times this summer was driving my cars to events that are 1/2 day away, listening to the engine hum and blasting the radio, getting thumbs up all the time, and experiencing the scenery of the mountains in a 50 year old car.  I say get out and drive 'em while we still can!