Main Menu

Lots of projects

Started by blown motor, December 30, 2018, 07:56:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

js27

I have to agree--driving them is way more fun that showing them. I showed my 1967 GTX all through the 90's and early 2000's. I spent almost every nice weekend during PA short summers at a show. My wife said to me one day we wasted the whole summer sitting at car shows and and not driving the car and she was right. I got my first Challenger in 1995. It was a project A66 car. I did a complete resto in about 1 1/2 years. I bought the car for $2500.00 and it came with some new 1/4's and lower trunk extensions. It had a 318 in it that didn't run and a late model 3 speed trans. I bought a correct 1970 340 long block and a correct 833 4 speed and pistol grip and restore everything. I had to redo the complete interior and added a vinyl top. Replaced all the trim and chrome.  My total investment for the complete car and parts and body and paint cost me $14,000.00. I did the car right but not exactly to OE specs.I had a ton of fun just driving the hell out of that car for a few years and sold it for $13,500.00.
I can't imagine what it would cost to do that same resto today ??
JS27

RUNCHARGER

Yes: For me, driving them is where it's at. I like to make them as nice as I can and tweak the mechanicals so they are as reliable and trouble free as a new car. They get dirty underneath but it can be cleaned.
Sheldon

blown motor

As you know I like to drive mine. I also love the looks of it. So I keep it shiny on the top side but because I drive it as much as I do it fugly underneath. I think it's the perfect balance.  :yes:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Aar1064

Like @anlauto said, to each his own. I do admire those that drive them and at the same time there's enough admiration left over for the cars that I see that are strictly being shown for the time being. I'm currently in the latter stage with my AAR. I was able like many to do everything myself and that meant every weekend and most week nights for 5 years out in the garage working and I have to tell ya, I was tested many times. At this point I'm not ready to hop in and deal with the reality of what happens just by driving because I know I'll be the one fixing it. I'll get to the point where some of the new wears off and that'll be the time to just let 'er rip. I have a early 2017 RAM truck that I very seldom drive because it's my first new truck and I'd like to keep it new as long as I can because as you know they ain't cheap. I also have a 1993 Chevy so I keep stuff as long as I can.

I enjoy the shows because of the people, cars, and everything that goes along with it and that'll remain whether I trailer it or drive it. I've met some really good people that I call friends all because of this car and that in itself is one of the reasons why I'm glad I restored it. Great journeys are made up of different paths and I currently love the one I'm on now.

jimynick

As for the "park it and polish it, but don't drive it brigade" -God bless; but I put too much time, let alone money into my old crate to just look at it; even if it is an "ill-favoured thing, but mine own".  To me, it'd be like being married to Sofia Vergara and never touching her! Sorry, I'm just weak I guess, and that wouldn't do, so I'll drive mine and enjoy the thumbs up and smiles and shouts of "cool car dude" and the sight, smell and sound of it, because as mentioned, one day, in the not so distant future, you won't be able to do any of that. 'Nuff said! Drive 'em!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"