Main Menu

Mark B's Challenger 340 A66

Started by Mark_B, October 02, 2018, 01:03:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

Very nice-Looks like my old A66 car I did back in the mid 90's. I chose to put the side stripe on when I restored it. Really looks good on the EV2 paint
JS27.

Mark_B

That was. Great looking car!  The stripe set it off.

Is my car EV2 Hemi Orange?  It's got a sort of metallic look to the paint.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

anlauto

Quote from: Mark_B on October 30, 2018, 11:54:12 AM
That was. Great looking car!  The stripe set it off.

Is my car EV2 Hemi Orange?  It's got a sort of metallic look to the paint.

YES EV2 is Hemi-orange or Tor-Red as Plymouth called it, and yes it should have gold metallic in it. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mark_B

Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

Mark_B

Decided I'm not that keen on the standard argent silver grill.  So thought time to paint it satin black.

So masked of the lamp surrounds, primered and finished in black smooth Hammerite.  Thought Hammerite might give better protection against stone chips.

The Grill is a pain to get out and the front bumper was not shifting, so did it in situ.

So today 3 Coats of primered, then 4 coats of Hycote Bodyshop satin black lacquer.

Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

dodj

Looks good!  :ohyeah:

What does the designation A66 get you? Nothing jumps out at me as any different than any other Challenger?  :thinking:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

kawahonda

I prefer the argent grill. It's amazing what a nice spray of WD-40 would do to it (not sure if you tried this before painting)...it darkens it and really makes it look pretty.

@dodj  A66 is a factory performance package. A66's are basically R/T cars (HD drums, heavier torsion bars, ralleye hood, etc) with the all-mighty 340. The only thing they lack compared to the R/T is the ralleye dash, R/T badges, and black colored grill. They are becoming, if not already, highly collectable...probably just as collectable as the R/Ts. It's a car you do not want to change much. Some actually prefer the A66s to the R/Ts due to the better balance of the 340 vs a 383.

They came factory with argent grills, R/T hoods, bumblebee stripe, and scat-pack stickers.

I am not a fan of turning A66 cars into R/Ts. A66s are special in their own right.

Mark, I do love your challenger. Our engine bays look near identical. If you ever want to further "stock-ify" it, let me know and I can post some pics. Greatly following your thread!

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Mark_B

Thanks for your comments.

Maybe in the States the A66 is known, but not over here in the UK.  People haven't even heard of a Challenger, let alone an R/T.  My car is all original and matching numbers, but it has been restored. I know what you mean about originality, but I've done that for the last 20 years with my previous classic cars and after a while it can be a bit restraining and dull.  I want to keep my car original mechanically as possible but I want it to look as fast as it goes!  Maybe a future Owner can return the grill to argent silver, I doubt it would take much.

My other car is a 69 Mach 1 and is an original matching numbers car, no rust, no welding, original paint.  That's staying as is.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

RUNCHARGER

I like the black better as well.
Sheldon

kawahonda

I actually LOVE the restraint! I wouldn't want it any different. I had an "unrestrained" car once....a 65 Ford Galaxie with a 390. Nothing special at all, but very easy to modify and make your own. It's very easy to spend money on those types of cars....

There's still plenty to spend on when you're keeping something original. Gives you more left over money to drive and enjoy it....I didn't get that chance with the Galaxie because it was all money and time, and no play when I reached the end.

btw, I'm not going "fully" original...only in appareance only. I have no problem switching out rear end gearing, wheels, and doing some performance mods..but I keep it hidden.

The Mach 1 is a cool car. The A66 is a cool car too-the A66 is actually way more rare based on the production numbers alone. :)

What's in the Mach 1? FE engine?

Mark_B

Quote from: kawahonda on January 13, 2019, 12:50:14 PM
What's in the Mach 1? FE engine?

A 351W 4 barrel.  It's a genuine California survivor car, they do exist.  Has been locked up most of it's life and rarely driven.  Has done low miles and still feels nearly new.  In the years I've owned it it's costing me almost nothing as it all still works.  I changed the wheels to Magnums but that's about it.

Here it is:

Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

kawahonda

I pulled my A66 out because of this thread to get some pictures of an "aged" Argent Grille that was sprayed with WD-40 5 months ago. In many cases it comes off "black" if sun isn't on it. Only when direct sunlight is on it it appears that it's argent. I really like it.

Ah, not an FE, but a Windsor engine. Looks like a keeper. IMO, the only "real" muscle Mustang that ford built. Between your A66 and your Mach 1, which car would win in a race?

You can see that i'm missing a vertical "strip" on my grille....I need to get a piece 3D printed to fill it in.

Mark_B

Quote from: kawahonda on January 13, 2019, 01:04:01 PM
Between your A66 and your Mach 1, which car would win in a race?

Wow Nice looking car!!  Especially the top photo.

It would be the Challenger, as I've just given it a top engine rebuild and I don't have to worry about it.  I'd thrash the hell out of it.

The Mach 1's FMX probably needs a rebuild some day so I'd take it easy with that one.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

kawahonda

Thanks! Representing the A66!

Ahh...my Galaxie had the FMX transmission. I think it was originally from a truck as I don't think the 65' Galaxie came with the FMX.

I threw a shift kit in it, didn't rebuild it, and it seemed to have held up. But I only put on 300 miles on it before I sold it for a car to get me through school! :)

Mark_B

Yes, the FMX is a piece of crap, but they seem to like them in the 60s.  Much preferred my C4 in my old 72 Mustang.

Any pics of the 65' Galaxie?
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk