Main Menu

O/T: Parts Mark up Mechanics charge: Is there a typical mark up % they charge?

Started by Topcat, March 06, 2019, 06:40:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

In my restorations I add 15% mark up on all the parts I purchase and supply....This is written in my policy and known to all my customers up front !

Benefits ... #1.Most vendors give me a discount which I pass on to my customers....my total cost plus 15% is what they pay...

So like Fine Lines....I get 25% OFF list....you call and you pay list...So I can sell them cheaper to you than they will.

#2. I deal with wrong parts, poor quality parts any other BS....

#3 I buy the best quality...I don't buy the crap...

I will still let customers supply their own parts...but they are on the hook if something is junk, wrong or doesn't work...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

IRON MAN

In the SF Bay Area NAPA Auto Parts Stores are independently owned. So it is up to the owner how much parts are  marked up. Usually you get the best price by calling for a price quote. I always call at least two stores to find out the name brand of the part. Ex. Moog, TRW, etc. Hard to beat Summit Racing prices. Parts vary in price policy a great deal here at Car Dealership"s Parts Depts.

Ric

I can get parts cheaper from my Napa owned store,than my privately owned Napa stores,drives them nuts, and they don't want to deal... :dunno:

Topcat

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on March 07, 2019, 06:58:33 PM
I stopped by my local Dodge dealer for a part for my 2004 dodge truck. It was the tiniest of u-joints on my steering coupler. Anyway it turns out it would be over 200 dollars because I have to buy the whole steering shaft. So I will measure this one up and probably buy it for 10 or 20 bucks somewhere.   Labor prices were $150 per hour for regular work.  169/hr for specialty work.  I am glad I can do 99% of the work on my truck.  For a 170 dollars an hour I really hope the lights are bright in the dealership because that's a heck of a lot of money.

This where I was coming from:

Labor on the receipt said 4.7 hours.
Typical Shop labor is $100-$110 an hour.

But the labor says total came to: $775.00
So let's do the math.

4.7 hours equals $165.00 an hour.
Then go back and see my post on the mark up.

Take that mark up and divide into 5 hours.
We'll say $17 dollars to estimate per hour added in what the  mark up is.

So now the new labor is: $182 an hour.   :rubeyes:

I'm telling ya: It's a shell game .

jimynick

Quote from: JS29 on March 08, 2019, 06:30:14 AM
Insurance company's pay $48-50 dollars per hour, period. Independent or dealer, But out of pocket customers are charged shop rate $80-90 per hour at the dealerships.  :headbang:  Here in New York state. So what dose $150 dollars per hour Canadian translate to in US dollars?  :pokeeye:
$111.70 today. I worked as an appraiser for an insurance company and we paid the going average door rate. It was commonly $100/hr and, as noted, "high tech" jobs cost $115/hr, so I don't know where you got your figures, but I'll drive over to NY to get work done if it can be gotten that cheap.  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

@jimynick  ( so I don't know where you got your figures,)          I get my figures from the chair in my office! I have the same license the insurance company, independent damage appeasers have.  I have been in this business for over 30 years now. and have worked for a dealer ship and independent body shops in the past. And it has always been this way in my neck of the woods.  Mechanical, frame, and specialty work does pay more per hour, but not new car dealer rate.  Insurance company's here like to persuade there clients to use THERE prefer d shops, in witch they have contracts with witch include discount labor an big discounted parts.     

jimynick

Quote from: JS29 on March 11, 2019, 06:56:14 AM
@jimynick  ( so I don't know where you got your figures,)          I get my figures from the chair in my office! I have the same license the insurance company, independent damage appeasers have.  I have been in this business for over 30 years now. and have worked for a dealer ship and independent body shops in the past. And it has always been this way in my neck of the woods.  Mechanical, frame, and specialty work does pay more per hour, but not new car dealer rate.  Insurance company's here like to persuade there clients to use THERE prefer d shops, in witch they have contracts with witch include discount labor an big discounted parts.   
I guess things are just done differently in NY. You mentioned your experience and I'm kinda the same way; being a licenced bodyman (1974) in several dealerships and then an appraiser from 1981 until retiring in 2016 with 33 years at the same, mean ole insurance company. We paid the average local rates, based on a survey of every shop in an area and if a shop was a member of our preferred group, then the usual rates would be $4-5 less an hour across the board and a 5-7% discount on oem parts- no discount on aftermarket parts. For that discount, we would, indeed, ask our insureds if they were willing to use one of our recommended shops. If they DID, we then issued them our President's Guarantee which meant that we, the mean ole I/S company, guaranteed their repairs- for the life of the time they owned that vehicle. Many of those shops were in and of a dealership and there was a constant list of them applying for admission to our program, so I guess they didn't think we were screwing them TOO bad, eh? My point here is not to enter a grand pissing contest, just to rebut some comments that I felt should be rebutted. Here endeth the sermon!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

@jimynick No problem here! It's interesting to hear how others get treated by the insurance industry. but things in the peoples republic of New York are as i described. It would be interesting to hear how it works in other states in the USA, and I understand your in Canada. I don't know how much of a discount the pro-shops give, but i be-leave it to be greater than that. And i have seen them wiggle out of there life time warranty.  :wave:   :handshake: