Main Menu

O/T: Parts Mark up Mechanics charge: Is there a typical mark up % they charge?

Started by Topcat, March 06, 2019, 06:40:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Had my front wheel drive car worked on.

When I looked at the mark up, this was the differential after doing some quick searches.

Oil pump O ring their charge: $8.60
On line cost: $3.79

Timing Cover plastic their charge: $90.76
On line cost: $35.95

Valve cover set their charge $61.18
On line cost  $10.99

Crankshaft seal their charge: $35.68
On line cost: $19.99

These were just quick random searches I made.

So does this seem like it's in Par? Or go find another mechanic?
I won't work on FWD cars when the work is on the underside to be done. 

Ric

I charge 40% over cost, employees and lights need to be paid, bring your own parts 40% still charged

Topcat

Rich G.

You know the old saying, You don't bring your food to a restaurant and tell them to cook it. LOL

BIGSHCLUNK

I remember many senarios over the years where the back alley mechanics were crying at my parts prices cause they couldn't make any money. We told many... do your homework BEFORE you quote your job....  :thinking:

dodj

Around here the parts prices on the garage bill are the same as you can get locally over the counter. (Online is a bit cheaper). The garages are given a deal on those prices so they can make some $$ on supplying the part.  The labour cost may be higher here though. Your bill may be higher  $ on the parts, lower $ on the labour?
Like Ric says, one way or another, they need to make a certain amount of $ out of a mechanics work day to keep the lights on.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

I've found the parts suppliers around here seem to mark up the prices as much as  300% as compared to what I can get it for at say, Rockauto. The garage/mechanic gets "trade price" and allows him to make some money on the parts so I can't blame them but the parts suppliers ( not the parts manufacturers)are getting carried away, every time someone touches the part they make money on it and mark it up accordingly. Even at "trade price" it's still cheaper at say Rockauto.  Too many middle men ( parasites) like in every other business. Parts suppliers are getting carried away/greedy. With a quick check on the internet, everyone is catching on. I can see the middleman part suppliers going extinct in the near future as anyone can order from somewhere online with your phone usually it's in your hands in 2-3 days.

RUNCHARGER

The thing is if the car is taking up shop room, the shop needs the parts fast and you also don't want them charging you $100/hr for two hours to phone 20 different suppliers to find your parts.
A hobbiest might spend 5 hours chasing 2 or 3 parts then wait for them to come from 3 different places. Time is money.
Sheldon

JS29

:alan2cents: Here in New York you are aloud 25% mark up By law, Some get carried away. Part's and labor are taxed. The insurance company's give us the same on used part's. the OEM part's in the crash book's (computer program) gives retail price's, we pay wholesale. The same go's for part's stores and states the prices on the receipt.  As far as internet part's go, some cases the shop or customer does not want to what that long to get the job done. 

Daveh

Down here is South Florida (The Keys)  you bring your fresh fish to most restaurants and they love to clean cook it for you.  At a price just like turning wrenches.    :haha:

HP_Cuda

I don't have a problem with reasonable upcharge on parts but nutzo prices I tell them to go pound sand.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

kawahonda

This is what irritates me about auto shops

The local muffler shop charged me $80-90 each for Dynomax super turbo mufflers. These are $43 on Amazon. Muffler shop probably gets wholesale pricing too. That's over 110% increase in price.

The local drive-train shop wouldn't allow me to bring in brand new spicer u-joints that I had gotten through NAPA. I had to return them. Looking on the bill they charged about 100% over what they costed me at NAPA. Not too mention the tapered axle bearings were way more expensive that I would have guessed!

So in my experience, I've seen a 2x increase in prices and it seems common. The local ma and pa mechanic that I sometimes go to is more about 15-25%....more reasonable, and they have no problem keeping the lights on (they have a really hefty waiting list because they are really good). My differential place is about the same, 15-25% markup and they also have a wait list...and they will use parts that I bring them to save on some costs.

I think 100% is gouging. It all adds up. But it's also the norm it seems.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

jimynick

Standard markup on oem parts here in Canada used to be 30%+/- for the trade and 45-50%+- on dealer cost on average. These days, the dealers are screwing trades guys and 15% is common and their prices bear no resemblance to reality at times. I just had to replace the front flex pipe on my 05 Camry 4 cyl and the dealer price was- wait for it- $1420.00! Meineke Muffler was $750.00 and I bought the pipe locally through some young lads who're aware of internet pricing, for $220.00. the old saying "caveat emptor" is still damn valid, so do your homework if you have the time. It'll likely save you a bunch of dough.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Swamp Donkey

I stopped by my local Dodge dealer for a part for my 2004 dodge truck. It was the tiniest of u-joints on my steering coupler. Anyway it turns out it would be over 200 dollars because I have to buy the whole steering shaft. So I will measure this one up and probably buy it for 10 or 20 bucks somewhere.   Labor prices were $150 per hour for regular work.  169/hr for specialty work.  I am glad I can do 99% of the work on my truck.  For a 170 dollars an hour I really hope the lights are bright in the dealership because that's a heck of a lot of money. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

JS29

Insurance company's pay $48-50 dollars per hour, period. Independent or dealer, But out of pocket customers are charged shop rate $80-90 per hour at the dealerships.  :headbang:  Here in New York state. So what dose $150 dollars per hour Canadian translate to in US dollars?  :pokeeye: