Main Menu

Mecum and Steve Juliano

Started by js27, March 06, 2019, 08:46:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

No, there wasn't.  Looking at vintage pictures, you might think there was a second custom Duster.  But it was the same one, but painted burgundy red before the redid it to green.

wingcarenvy

I live in the same county his collection was housed in. It was such a guarded secret that no one I know in this community knew where it was or how to view it. Such a shame it wasn't open to the public. Well now maybe it will go to a museum where hoards of people can see it and enjoy.

JH27N0B

Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 16, 2019, 09:12:04 PM
I live in the same county his collection was housed in. It was such a guarded secret that no one I know in this community knew where it was or how to view it. Such a shame it wasn't open to the public. Well now maybe it will go to a museum where hoards of people can see it and enjoy.
If anyone is thinking of heading to Indianapolis this weekend to see the auction, but unsure if the will, do it!   :alan2cents:
In the lobby of one of the buildings they set up all of Steves items.  They put up walls to create a replica of sorts of his private museum in CA there.  There is an entrance, then inside the 3 RTS cars in a row, and every wall has many many signs and posters displayed, and dealership floor displays. Mostly Mopar, but several areas dedicated to Ford and AMC.
It's the last time to see this amazing collection together, and for most of us, the only chance. As mentioned, Steves museum wasn't open to the public and only friends and some car clubs who he hosted events for ever got to see it.
And this week through Sunday at Indianapolis.....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 16, 2019, 09:12:04 PM

Funny, I know lots of folks who viewed Steven's Collection & I had an invite myself but unfortunately scheduling got in the way.... Talking with Steven he said in all the years living in California he got very few requests to view his collection...  He was always active on various websites, all you had to do was reach out....  He had an incredible collection that he was happy to show but he had a life beyond his collection so he wasn't going to open a museum that would keep him tied down....   

Jay Leno doesn't run a museum either... But lots of people have toured his collection... Same deal, Ask.....

RUNCHARGER

I spoke with Steve a few times and I didn't make a point to go view it, my loss that's for sure. Somehow it wouldn't be as cool to see everything now.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 17, 2019, 07:04:44 AM
I spoke with Steve a few times and I didn't make a point to go view it, my loss that's for sure. Somehow it wouldn't be as cool to see everything now.
I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to see the collection yesterday.  I'd hoped that more of the collection would have been shown at MCACN alongside the RTS cars, so seeing it yesterday sort of made up for that.
But you are correct that the best way to see the collection was by being hosted by Steve seeing it at his museum.  I've been told he had a story behind just about every item he'd found over the decades he built his collection, and that would have been fascinating to hear the stories.

anlauto

It's unfortunate some big collector didn't buy up the cars, the memorabilia and even the building just to keep everything together.... :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

The Sonic Cuda and the RTS Cuda were two compleley different cars.
RTS Cuda  was an amazing creation

captcolour

I'll be there Saturday.  May pick up some road art from his collection.

76orangewagon

We got back last night after spending a few days there and I must admit I saw very little of the car auction because I spent most of my time looking at the Juliano collection and all of yesterday in the Road Art room getting outbid time after time as each individual piece sold for outrageous prices, I get a chance to meet his family and spoke briefly with his daughter just to offer my condolences at the same time the Schwinn bicycles like the Cotton Picker, Grey Ghost and lemon Peeler each sold for $10,ooo and that's before the 23% buyers premium. I did manage to win one item in the Mecum On Time auction but lost several of those as well. The NOS F78 collapsible spare mentioned earlier in another post sold for $4,005 before the 23% premium and 7% sales tax. Here's my single purchase from the auction, a NOS 1971 Alternator, I had Jim Ridge rebuilt mine last year but I might use this one instead after sending it to Jim to freshen it up.

JH27N0B

I was amazed how much most of the items from the estate went for, I would have loved to have got a couple of Steve's signs for my little collection, but they were way beyond my pay grade!
I did get several parts at decent prices, and although I was outbid by a large amount on most of the small items from the online auction, I did end up with a cool Chrysler glass and a '69 GTX promotional model with original box both for good prices. I am planning to toast Steve with a drink from the glass before putting it in my display case along with the model!
I tried for some items like pen knives, but they went far beyond my bids.
That space saver sale was nuts, those go for $650-1000 generally. 
Thursday I was by a display case where the ashtrays were, and 2 guys were standing there with their phones watching the Scat Pack ashtrays auctions winding down.  One said I'm still high bid at $1600!
The other said he was thinking of raising his bid on another one, the first guy said its only money!
I didn't find if either won, but the fact that someone paid over $2000 for an ashtray is mind boggling.
I took a huge amount of pictures and have spent a lot of time trying to sort them.  I'm still not done.
But here is my first album of pictures, more to come later-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72157708649706394

anlauto

The first picture is of Peter's Pink TA coming up for sale at the Dallas auction....Peter is a member here :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Was there any rumors floating around the auction as to who bought the RTS cars and if they are still together ?