Main Menu

Part identification help needed

Started by 340sport, July 01, 2020, 07:15:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

340sport

Hello all. I have been around the Mopar car hobby for a while, but have mainly dealt with A-body cars.  I am rather new to E body cars and have just purchased my first E body (73 Cuda) and will be seeking advise and parts identification for this car.  I've been told you guys are the 'go to guys'.  So, my first question is what is the piece called that is located below the rear finish panel but just above the rear bumper?  I didn't notice that mine is broken and I will be searching for parts as needed while my oldest son and I finish the restoration of his 69 Dart.  Thank you for helping out.

Burdar

What you are referring to is a rubber bumper filler.  They were used in 73 and 74 when the bumpers were moved out farther away from the body.  Lots of people remove the fillers and move the bumper in to the 70-72 location.  That filler piece is not reproduced.  If you want to put it back on, you'll need to find an original.  There is a rubber filler strip on the front too.  That one isn't reproduced either.

anlauto

Usually referred to as the rear bumper filler. I see some corner pieces on eBay , but not the long center piece. Shouldn't be too hard to find :alan2cents:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1970-1971-1972-1973-1974-Plymouth-Cuda-bumper-filler-Original-Mopar-hemi/283875859688?hash=item421851dce8:g:ZDgAAOSwqKxeuqF1
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340sport

Perhaps moving the bumper into the 70-72 location is the way to go.  If so, does the bumper change or is there a different bracket?

Burdar

The front just requires drilling some new holes in the original bumper brackets.  The rear is easiest if you just get new bumper brackets.  Bolt hole locations probably changed some between years.  If you are restoring the car you're probably getting new bumpers anyway.(or having the existing ones rechromed)  It shouldn't be a bid deal.

340sport

Thank you wise gentlemen.  This is going to be an adventure

Rich G.

I'm pretty sure the bumper bolt holes are different in 73 so buy the bumper for the brackets you will be using. I know the front definitely is.

jimynick

Quote from: Rich G. on July 01, 2020, 12:05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the bumper bolt holes are different in 73 so buy the bumper for the brackets you will be using. I know the front definitely is.
Yeah, the 73-4 cars had the big, ugly "Dagmars" with the attending holes to mount them.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Burdar

QuoteYeah, the 73-4 cars had the big, ugly "Dagmars" with the attending holes to mount them.

Honestly, growing up with a 73 in the garage, I was used to seeing the bumper guards and they don't bother me at all.  I actually think the 72's look weird because they don't have them.