Main Menu

E-Body Steering Column Part 1 (Identification)

Started by Cuda Cody, January 04, 2017, 10:04:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Part 1 of 4 of a "How-To" series about E-Body Steering columns.  This first video talks about identifying an E-Body steering column and how to tell the difference between the years and Power Steering vs Manual Steering.

Brads70

When I got my car it came with a column shift. I got a floor shift to replace it with and I always thought I had a 71-74 but as it turns out I have an actual 70 column! Thanks for the education @Cuda Cody !

blown motor

Hey this is timely. I'll be pulling my column to restore it in a couple weeks. Looking forward to the next 3 parts.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

If anyone is thinking of restoring their own column, do it!  It's something you can do in your own garage and the feeling you get when it done is second to none.  Plus you'll know it was done right!  I'll get more posted up tonight.  And if anyone gets stuck while working on their column, I'm just a message or call away. 

Brads70

I did mine when I first replaced the column simply because I wanted to eliminate any possible electrical gremlins before they happened. So I replaced the ignition switch and the turn signal switch.  The light on the key(AO1) would be a nice feature to add. Does anyone repop the parts needed?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Don't think anyone is making the A01 light.  You can find them on ebay still and at some swap meets.

Quote from: Brads70 on January 05, 2017, 03:00:38 PM
The light on the key(AO1) would be a nice feature to add. Does anyone repop the parts needed?  :notsure:

EB3-GranCoupe

I picked up a column for my next project at the Don Garlits show, and was planning on doing it myself.  Thanks Cody for the "How-To" step-by-step videos!!

anlauto

The light on the key(AO1) would be a nice feature to add. Does anyone repop the parts needed?  :notsure:

You would need the whole time delay harness as well. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I very rarely come across shafts with black paint on them. Last week I took apart two columns, a 70 and a 71....and looked over the shafts for any signs of black paint and could not find any. FYI @Cuda Cody
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on January 13, 2017, 07:35:57 PM

You would need the whole time delay harness as well. :alan2cents:
Does anyone repop that or is that also a search e-bay thing? If you find one on e-bay sometime post a link? I have no idea what I'm looking for.....

Cuda Cody

Yes, I think natural could be more correct.  If they were painted it most likely was after they were installed and never held up very well.   I'll double check some of my reference photos when i get home.     :twothumbsup:

anlauto

Well you of all people should have enough samples.... :tool:

SteveG

I did mine when I first replaced the column simply because I wanted to eliminate any possible electrical gremlins before they happened. So I replaced the ignition switch and the turn signal switch.  The light on the key(AO1) would be a nice feature to add. Does anyone repop the parts needed?  :notsure:

There is probably a way to install a LED lamp inside the column and it should last a long time. Of course it's not for the 100% original cars but something that may be neat for daily drivers.