Main Menu

Phantom Cuda carcass (Graveyard Carz)

Started by Cuda Cody, July 03, 2017, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Voodoo Child

Quote from: EV2RTSE on July 03, 2017, 03:33:46 PM
Not unlike a certain 71 hemi convertible... basically a whole new car built around a cowl.
Is this the one that sold at Barrett Jackson a few yrs. ago for $1 mil? If so when is the line drawn between real and clone?

MoparJunkie

Quote from: Voodoo Child on July 11, 2017, 04:40:06 PM
Not unlike a certain 71 hemi convertible... basically a whole new car built around a cowl.
Is this the one that sold at Barrett Jackson a few yrs. ago for $1 mil? If so when is the line drawn between real and clone?

I had that same exact question. When is the line drawn between a rebody and saying it's original? Seem like there isn't really a line drawn in the sand on that topic. While most might agree that something is or isn't a rebody without an exact measure of what is or what isn't it's just speculation and opinion. Personally I think there should be a standard to what is considered a rebody. Either saying you must have these specific parts of the body or saying you have to at least have X percentage of the original body. Makes the survivors and originals more rare and worth more imo.

A 71 hemi vert that was basically a rebody built around a cowl is an insane price at 1 million (assuming more of the original wasn't part of it). But someone thought it was worth that price and paid it. But then again I'm just your average joe, and I don't have that kind of money and likely never will.

anlauto

A 71 hemi vert that was basically a rebody built around a cowl is an insane price at 1 million (assuming more of the original wasn't part of it). But someone thought it was worth that price and paid it. But then again I'm just your average joe, and I don't have that kind of money and likely never will.

Well, I think the purple 71 Rag sold for over one million. It's history is well known that's why it went so cheap compared to other 71 Hemicuda convertibles that sell in the three million range. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Voodoo Child

Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2017, 04:57:45 PM

Well, I think the purple 71 Rag sold for over one million. It's history is well known that's why it went so cheap compared to other 71 Hemicuda convertibles that sell in the three million range. :alan2cents:
Speaking of the history of this car. How does one put a car back in the system/road that was stolen, cut up and a partial piece found on an Indian reservation in Canada? I think that's how the story went .

Cudajason

Quote from: MoparJunkie on July 11, 2017, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Child on July 11, 2017, 04:40:06 PM

I had that same exact question. When is the line drawn between a rebody and saying it's original? Seem like there isn't really a line drawn in the sand on that topic. While most might agree that something is or isn't a rebody without an exact measure of what is or what isn't it's just speculation and opinion. Personally I think there should be a standard to what is considered a rebody. Either saying you must have these specific parts of the body or saying you have to at least have X percentage of the original body. Makes the survivors and originals more rare and worth more imo.

I think its a fine line but discernable line.

If you are replacing body panels, frame rails etc. on a rusted out hulk, I think you have a hard time saying that is a rebody.

If you are taking pieces from one car, vin numbers or the larger parts of the body that contain the vin number, and placing those on a different / better car, that IMHO is a rebody, and likely illegal.

One is a car that once existed and has been fixed, the other something that was one thing and now represented as something else.

The purple convertible from the Indian reservation is the grey area...if it was documented that everything was built out from that cowl, I think there is an argument that it is not a rebody. There would not be any of the other VIN stampings on the car, which as documented impacts the value of the car.  THat and the history of the car is know.

If you take the existing vin stampings from that cowl and transplanted them to a different car, then I think you have a rebody.

:alan2cents:  and yes  :deadhorse:

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Quote from: Voodoo Child on July 11, 2017, 05:21:51 PM
Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2017, 04:57:45 PM

Speaking of the history of this car. How does one put a car back in the system/road that was stolen, cut up and a partial piece found on an Indian reservation in Canada? I think that's how the story went .

I'm sure the car still had a title...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration