Main Menu

Picture needed M38

Started by cuda hunter, April 16, 2024, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Can anyone help me out with what moldings are labeled M38? 

This car has two codes I have not seen on any other tags I have.

A46 and M38.

A46 is not available with M46.     

Would M38 be the three piece metal on the rear tail panel that is actually on the deck lid and the rear turn downs of the quarter panel?   Not M88 that is the four piece that goes on the inset of the rear panel? 

And what is the A46?  I see it's a molding option, but why is this the only M38 that I have ever seen?   

BH23C0B242313
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I have looked through several hundred pictures of fender tags and broadcast sheets on both 70 and 71's and have yet to see M38 or A46.

I did see A47 on a FAKE tag.  Not valid. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Well, there is an M46 with M88.  But that M88 is the special ordered item on that car and M38 is not coded on the fender tag since the car is an M46 optioned car that came with the 3 piece rear trim on the M46 package.  Subsequently the M38 is not coded on the fender tag since it is part of the M46 option. 

Since wheel well trim was not available or a special ordered item on a BH barracuda, could the A46 be the code for the customer (possible) ordered wheel well trim? Being the only code to get the wheel well trim on the car. 

EV2RTSE

Found this-

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/121557/1970-barracuda-code-m48-what-is-it.html

Post 121565

"The A46 package included these mouldings;
upper door frame, drip rail, grille surround, wheel lip, & deck lid.

Upper door frame moldings were not available on E-Bodies (no upper door frames) but both cars are coded for;

Drip Rail Mouldings - M21

Wheel Lip Mouldings - M26

Deck Lid Lower Mouldings - M38

So, the grille mouldings may be the M48........"

Skdmark

From the salesman pocket guide on A46. The dagger icons next to the grille and trunk moldings ref mean they are only available as part of a group package.
The White book has M38 as the deck lid finish panel moldings. I would take that as the 3pc quarter-trunk-quarter combination.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

YYZ

IMHO the M38 is as likely to be a typo for M88.  The 3 piece and 4 piece tail trim are both coded M88 for '70 depending on whether it's a Gran Coupe or a 'Cuda.

On the other hand, with the A46 moulding group, that should have included belt (top of door) mouldings, which are not on the tag. 

Perhaps someone was freestyling on the fender tag machine that day

cuda hunter

Quote from: EV2RTSE on April 17, 2024, 07:08:32 AMFound this-

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/121557/1970-barracuda-code-m48-what-is-it.html

Post 121565

"The A46 package included these mouldings;
upper door frame, drip rail, grille surround, wheel lip, & deck lid.

Upper door frame moldings were not available on E-Bodies (no upper door frames) but both cars are coded for;

Drip Rail Mouldings - M21

Wheel Lip Mouldings - M26

Deck Lid Lower Mouldings - M38

So, the grille mouldings may be the M48........"

Interesting post. 
It's unfortunate that old barry won't share any info but collects it. 
It was mentioned, that the M46 always had M88 on it but I have Zero M46 barracuda with M88, the 4 piece tail panel trim,  and it is totally different than the M38 3 piece rear trim. 

cuda hunter

Quote from: Skdmark on April 17, 2024, 07:12:32 AMFrom the salesman pocket guide on A46. The dagger icons next to the grille and trunk moldings ref mean they are only available as part of a group package.
The White book has M38 as the deck lid finish panel moldings. I would take that as the 3pc quarter-trunk-quarter combination.

Thanks for posting that. 
I need to get me one of those salesman guides. 

cuda hunter

Quote from: YYZ on April 17, 2024, 03:14:35 PMIMHO the M38 is as likely to be a typo for M88.  The 3 piece and 4 piece tail trim are both coded M88 for '70 depending on whether it's a Gran Coupe or a 'Cuda.

On the other hand, with the A46 moulding group, that should have included belt (top of door) mouldings, which are not on the tag. 

Perhaps someone was freestyling on the fender tag machine that day

I can't find a gran coupe fender tag or build sheet that has M88 on it. 
Plenty of pictures of gran coupe 3 piece trim that separates the argent from the body paint color.
Same as M46 that separates the organasol black from the body color.
The Cuda's with the 4 piece trim has the black out on the tail panel only and it seems every BS car has M88 on the fender tag. 

6bblgt

my take: the grille & rear mouldings are borrowed from the Gran Coupe (wonder if they also got black grilles and/or argent tail panels?)

6bblgt

@cuda hunter the tag you posted is the 4th car I've seen evidence for with A46, there were ~ 322 built
here's a broadcast sheet that was on eBay years ago  :rubeyes:

cuda hunter

That broadcast sheet appears to also have M38 on the mouldings section. 

Thanks for posting  BH23G0B22107x   

6bblgt

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 18, 2024, 05:52:47 AMThat broadcast sheet appears to also have M38 on the mouldings section. 

Thanks for posting  BH23G0B22107x   

yes, they are part of the A46 package

Smallblock340

@cuda hunter
Here is another picture of a Fender Tag w/ M38 and A46 option. For sale @ Facebook Marketplace in August 2023.
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ