5 (10.4%)
FJ5 Lime Lite Green
4 (8.3%)
OTHER
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 30, 2022, 06:40:28 PM

dodj

I merely suggested newer colours because, with a resto-mod you are not catering to the purists, just the financially well heeled that are looking to spend 100K+ on a good looking car with a colour that catches their eye.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on April 17, 2022, 07:26:53 AM
My definition of a "resto-mod" is a car that looks "restored" but has modifications with "modern" upgrades.

While a custom colour combo that wasn't available on the car you're modifying may look cool it may also be a colour combination that only a Mother could love and NOT the general masses....therefore NOT all that "resalable"  :alan2cents:

Now, like dodj mentioned, you could go with a "new vehicle" colour, but in the same sense, in my opinion, you have to stick with the "new" versions of the original colours....The modern plum crazy purple, or lime green, or vitamin C orange, would be nice, but you would NOT use destroyer grey or snakebite green if you know what I mean...

The idea behind building this car, and the question of this thread is what colour would attract the MOST POTENTIAL BUYERS with the deepest pockets of course :bigmoney: :haha:

I hear you and your right. But take a look at these two cars,  Even though they are Fords these REALLY caught my attention because they stand out as they are not what everyone else does. Destroyer Grey could be made to look good if all the other parts " matched" the theme . I think it was Vintage Car Craft magazine that had the theme " Dare to be different"  I kinda like different sometimes.  Just food for thought?  :slapme5:

anlauto

I call those "Pro-Touring" a step above resto-mod in my opinion...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 17, 2022, 08:05:00 AM
    Not sure which color this is but when I think AAR this is what I picture.... not my all time favorite color but I believe it works great with this scheme....  :alan2cents:

Looks like EK2 Vitamin C orange :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

The problem is ME....me having 35+ years of restoring OE Type cars, with this resto-mod craze, I find myself wanting to find a really clear balance of old and new....for instance, I still want all the little details to be correct...even though there are "no-rules" I still want the wiper motor restored correctly, not just painted black or heaven forbid, body colour.. :barf: I want all the latches, hardware etc...to be correct etc....with this last one, it will even have the correct bumper jack and spare in the trunk... :looney: but have a Gen III hemi under the hood... :lookatthat:

As I just said in regards to the two Mustangs....huge wheel flares, custom colours, roll bars, whatever....that's a whole different level of build....but that's another story....

I'm just wondering what colour will sell the best.... :bigmoney: :takemymoney:

YYZ

For sure red, elastomerics, maybe AAR style hood

anlauto

Quote from: YYZ on April 17, 2022, 02:13:07 PM
For sure red, elastomerics, maybe AAR style hood

White interior or black ? Vinyl top/louvers or slick top ? Bumpers for sure  :drooling:

torredcuda

Either a High Impact color such as V2 or C7 or black.  An AAR in black with black strobe stripe looks killer and real ones fetch a premium so I think it would also do well on a resto-mod.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I have access right now to four 1970 Challengers, including one convertible.....I think if I was commissioned to build one of those....I would want a T/A Resto-mod or a Vanishing Point 2.0 with an all white modern version of the movie car.. :drooling:  I think that would be cool...

YYZ

Though I don't mind the vinyl roofs on 'Cudas, the body line doesn't lend itself as neatly to one as a Challenger.  So I would say slick top - and either all red, or carry the Organosol to the roof and possibly the deck lid.

No belt moulding.

You know that I'm a fan of white interiors, however, they don't seem to be as popular in resale.  My thoughts would be to go with black, or even red seats with black door panels, dash and carpet.

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on April 17, 2022, 10:29:56 AM
You think so? The '69 is just a front spoiler and after market wheels with a non-factory blue. If the decal is true, even a factory available motor - though a rare one.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on April 18, 2022, 04:22:37 AM
Quote from: anlauto on April 17, 2022, 10:29:56 AM
You think so? The '69 is just a front spoiler and after market wheels with a non-factory blue. If the decal is true, even a factory available motor - though a rare one.

I didn't really look that close...it's a Mustang  :haha: :haha:

captcolour

Quote from: anlauto on April 17, 2022, 10:51:24 AM
The problem is ME....me having 35+ years of restoring OE Type cars, with this resto-mod craze, I find myself wanting to find a really clear balance of old and new....for instance, I still want all the little details to be correct...even though there are "no-rules" I still want the wiper motor restored correctly, not just painted black or heaven forbid, body colour.. :barf: I want all the latches, hardware etc...to be correct etc....with this last one, it will even have the correct bumper jack and spare in the trunk... :looney: but have a Gen III hemi under the hood... :lookatthat:

As I just said in regards to the two Mustangs....huge wheel flares, custom colours, roll bars, whatever....that's a whole different level of build....but that's another story....

I'm just wondering what colour will sell the best.... :bigmoney: :takemymoney:

I think you're on the right track.  Exterior and interior should be stock AAR because the potential buyer is going to be someone who wants the look of an AAR.  As for exterior color, I personally don't like the red so much with the black hood and louvers.  To me, Vitamin C, Limelight, Moulin Rouge, and In Violet look awesome.  White interior works with the purple for sure but nothing else.  No vinyl top on any of them, but rear window louvers to carry the black from the front to the back.  If you wanted to deviate a little in the interior, I love the look of hounds-tooth seats.  Vitamin C exterior, black interior with black/orange hounds-tooth seats I think would be subtle but killer.  Any of the other colors done that way would work too.

anlauto

Orange is kinda reaching out to me, either Vitamin C or Hemi orange  :thinking:

MoparCarGuy

The FE5 - Rallye Red was the most popular color in 1970 for a Cuda. Likely attributable to the red brochure car and numerous magazine advertisements.
Next was EB5 - Blue Fire Metallic and then a close third was FY1 - Lemon Twist and fourth was FC7 - In Violet.
Today, I agree with most on this thread...FC7, EB5, TX9, and FJ5 will pull in the big $.