Main Menu

Recommendations for someone who straightens/polishes stainless trim

Started by 76orangewagon, October 29, 2017, 02:16:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

Like the title says I'm looking for recommendations for someone who straightens/polishes stainless trim from my 71 Cuda, I thought about buying a buffer and compound and trying it myself but some of my drip moldings have small dings and dents that need removed first.

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

76orangewagon

Quote from: HP_Cuda on October 29, 2017, 02:17:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that Cody did some videos on this.

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/?envira-tag=trim
I've watched them but other than having some of the recommended sandpaper's he recommended using I would be buying a lot of tools for a one time use. It probably will still be cheaper to buy the specialty tools than sending them out.   

HP_Cuda

Well I can tell you from experience that I sent my stainless out to Superior Chrome (sad now closed recently) it cost a pretty penny. The trim turned out great and took about 3 weeks but I think it ran somewhere near 700-800 bucks which is dependent on how much work they will need to do on it. Then again anything in this area is more expensive than other parts of the country.

Don't even ask how much it would be to chrome a bumper there.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

Most people will be surprised what it costs to have stainless trim polished.  That is one of the reasons I do my own.  The guy I knew that was doing it has closed up shop.  Not sure who's doing good work now.   :sorry:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 29, 2017, 02:46:45 PM
Most people will be surprised what it costs to have stainless trim polished.  That is one of the reasons I do my own.  The guy I knew that was doing it has closed up shop.  Not sure who's doing good work now.   :sorry:

I'm guessing you used Mike @ Alltrim?   He is/was  extremely good but extremely slow & extremely costly.... 

Most folks are very happy with the work & prices provided by

Shine on Me
239 S. La Esperanza
San Clemente, CA 92672
Attn: Norm Huie

Email: huiehome@cox.net
Phone: (949) 498-8974

anlauto

If you don't mind packaging it up and shipping it, I would recommend The Plating House in Concord ON Canada (just outside of Toronto) :canada:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

a shop around here charges $75 per foot - it adds up quick

a local body shop uses Ogden Chrome near SLC, Utah (last 2 b-bodies I worked on had bumpers done there)  :bigthumb:

https://www.ogdenchrome.com/

RUNCHARGER

It's really not terribly hard depending on how dinged up it is. The polishing goes surprisingly fast as long as you take the correct steps.
Sheldon

nsmall

I just paid $1000 to have all of mine polished out....including belt molding.  Flipping expensive, looks friggin awesome.  My guy is in SoCal.  Thanks

RzeroB

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 29, 2017, 02:46:45 PM
Most people will be surprised what it costs to have stainless trim polished.  That is one of the reasons I do my own.  The guy I knew that was doing it has closed up shop.

:idea:  Sounds like you should send it to Cody??  :drinkingbud:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

HEMICUDA

Come back to my shop Ross, I'll show you all the stainless Ed Manuel did for my black AAR, beautiful work and he's local to us.

76orangewagon

Quote from: HEMICUDA on October 30, 2017, 02:51:46 AM
Come back to my shop Ross, I'll show you all the stainless Ed Manuel did for my black AAR, beautiful work and he's local to us.

That sounds like a plan...... Thanks Mike