Main Menu

Ball vs T Handle

Started by hrtbkr, April 01, 2024, 08:00:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

hrtbkr

Hi
Did early '71s equipped with automatic transmissions come with the ball style shifter handles.
Is so, when did the switch to T handles?
Thanks

anlauto

That's one I've never heard of, I guess it could be possible ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

My 74 Challenger, original owner took delivery on Oct 13, 73 so it was an earlier built one, has the T handle. It seems I remember hearing of some 74s with a ball and the theory was that the factory ran out of T handles during the production year and finished up production with ball handles that were in inventory. My buddy that has a 72 has a ball handle and he said it's an early build 72.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

ZippyZoo

FWIW: My early '71 Challenger - August '70 build - came with the '71 T-Handle shifter in a '70 console (seat belt holder)

MEK-Dangerous

As far as I know, the ball shifter was a "70" only thing. I have seen them on 74's though, so maybe they did run out of the T-handle shifters?
I'm speaking about Challengers, I don't know if it was the same for Cuda's.

dodj

My '73 had a ball shifter when I got it. Original? I have no idea.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

My 74 Chally had a ball when i first got it.   

xx88man

My late '74 has a ball shifter
Keep yer foot in it

RacerX

My understanding about the balls making a return in 74 was because of breakage issues with the T handles.

I have heard that reasoning multiple times over the years, so it seems plausible. 
Seems to make more sense than the other theories...