Main Menu

Removing a Dash pad while still in the car

Started by Chryco, September 07, 2019, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco

Does anyone have any tips on the best root, to change a Dash pad.
I really don't want to remove the entire dash out of he car.
Tommy The Chryco
Cuda Rubber Bumpers and The Better "Shaker Kits"
1-866-893-2547

JH27N0B

I changed out the dash pad in a '70 while it was still in the car when I was young and stupid and didn't know any better.  Actually I wasn't all that stupid, even at 18 or 19 I knew to remove the VIN from my old pad and put it on the new one, which I've heard a lot of people neglected to do back in the 70s and early 80s, resulting in missing VIN tags in some cars now.  But I was much more flexible then, I can't imagine crawling under a dash to unscrew and reinstall all the fasteners now!
I've talked to people who've told me they were able to install new pads by removing a few bolts that connect the dash frame to the body, unbolting and dropping the steering column, and disconnecting the dash wiring harness, then rotate the dash assembly down to make access easy without fully removing the dash assembly. Haven't tried that myself but sounds pretty straightforward.

Katfish

I did it several times when I was younger too.
As I remember it really wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I do remember the 1 nut that gave me trouble was the upper front left.
The switch panel needs to be removed to access it, so I always let that 1 off when putting it back together.

RUNCHARGER

If you're trying to save time this isn't the way to do it.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I swapped out my dash pad with the dash/wind shield still in the car. I never thought about removing the dash, others say it's much easier?

tparker

Pulling it isn't real hard. 2 bolts on the side and 3 or so up top. I don't recall any underneath except I suppose you probably gotta lower the steering wheel. Disconnect a few wires. I don't recall it being very difficult or taking all that long.

anlauto

It's been likely over 25 years since I tried to do it in the car....I recall having to take a LOT of the dash apart to access the 11 nuts. The ash try, glove box, instruments all have to come out I believe :unbelievable: so by the time you've done that you might have just as well pulled the whole dash out. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Speaking of swapping out dash pads...I guess you guys in the Southern States don't come across mint originals too often eh ?

I have these two in my shop right now..... https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/oakville-halton-region/two-1971-cuda-challenger-dash-pads-mint-original/1458376447?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I don't think they will sell quickly around here for the asking price(s) but to put it into perspective....a reproduction pad from Roseville is over $1500CDN by the time we get it here, even more if David has to ship it here to Canada...It's over $300 in shipping alone. :o

So $1800 CDN (roughly $1300USD) doesn't sound too bad....I'm sure somebody has an OE type car worthy of that expense  :bigmoney:

dodj

I did my dash pad change with the dash in place.  Remove gauges and glove box. Undo the ten nuts underneath, take it out. Easier than taking the dash out imo.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

even dropping the whole dash is a pain , there are 4 bolts in the defrost vents, there is no way I can get to them to put them back in , good to have a female or a kid will small hands to start the bolts 

Jay Bee

I've done this several times, like a lot have said, when I was younger. As mentioned remove almost everything first (switch panel, gauges, ash tray, glove box, I think I did my radio too).

One thing I do remember is buying a 1/4 drive 12 inch extension and 1/4 drive U-joint. It helped with some of the speed nuts and, I think, with the 4 vent bolts.

JH27N0B

I don't remember taking the gage dash panels or radio out when I changed my dash pad, but that was 35 years ago so I could be wrong.
This was in my T/A, and I was installing an OE pad.  I just had my convertible's dash pad restored and reinstalled by a shop last year.  He said it was a real pain to install due to the Just Dashes restoration of my pads puffiness, making it a nightmare to get at the bolts in the defroster ducts.
That car has a AC and 3 speaker dash, so there's a lot more in the way then the pad I did in my T/A.
My friend Ray, @ricomondo here, has replaced several pads on his cars in recent times so he might have some tips to share?

Chryco

Thanks gents took 5 hrs to pull it out. I expect twice as long to reinstall.!
Tommy The Chryco
Cuda Rubber Bumpers and The Better "Shaker Kits"
1-866-893-2547

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Chryco on September 14, 2019, 12:53:22 PM
Thanks gents took 5 hrs to pull it out. I expect twice as long to reinstall.!

So since this task is obviously fresh in your mind, do YOU have any tips for your cracked E body dash brethren?