Main Menu

Removing a Dash pad while still in the car

Started by Chryco, September 07, 2019, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Chryco on September 14, 2019, 12:53:22 PM
Thanks gents took 5 hrs to pull it out. I expect twice as long to reinstall.!

It might actually go in a little quicker. You know exactly where all the fasteners are and you know exactly which tools work best to reach up in there. Plus you won't have dust and other crud falling in your face while you work.

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco on September 14, 2019, 12:53:22 PM
Thanks gents took 5 hrs to pull it out. I expect twice as long to reinstall.!

Ahhh...just bill your customer... :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BigSig 6 Barrel

Never done it before, but removing one tomorrow.
Going to try removing just the pad itself without disturbing too much of the rest of the dash.
Likely end up taking everything apart, but i've got my fingers crossed, we'll see how it goes.   :headbang:

~ A Wise Man Knows He Isn't

Katfish

Ashtray, glovebox, gauge bezels and A/C duct all have to come out.
Get a pic of a dash pad so you can see where all the screws are.

Finoke

dodj

Quote from: Katfish on September 15, 2019, 06:01:19 PM
Ashtray, glovebox, gauge bezels and A/C duct all have to come out.
Get a pic of a dash pad so you can see where all the screws are.
Depending on age and flexibility, removing the seats really makes the job easier. Unless I'm just changing a fuse or a flasher, I remove the seat(s) now that I'm over 50.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

I agree: Pull the seats, it makes things a ton better.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

My picture contribution. It's high resolution (1.36M @ 1600 x 1200) so it'll be easier to see if the file is downloaded.

CudaHead

Thanks for those pictures. They will help me with my dash build.

Katfish

Finoke

Quote from: Katfish on September 16, 2019, 02:18:38 PM
Quote from: Finoke on September 16, 2019, 04:30:38 AM
:fingerscrossed:

That's funny, I created that many moons ago to remind me what to do.

Thx Katfish! It's that good that I saved it for many years. Didn't even remember where it came from but it's spot on.  :banana:

BigSig 6 Barrel

Thanks for the chart and actual picture of the stud locations . . . and all the tips as well!  :ohyeah:
Ended up taking me about 4 hours to get it out.

Ever wonder how the 1970 challenger emblem is held in place?
The 5 plastic emblem studs pierce through the vinyl, and then the "push-on" clips are fastened from the back side, sandwiching the vinyl in-between.
But that's not all . . . the dense foam rubber is then molded around the studs and clips to make it impossible to remove without ripping out the vinyl and chunks of foam rubber with it.  Don't even think about removing one from a good dash folks!!

New pad will be going in at a later date

~ A Wise Man Knows He Isn't

Chryco

Quote from: Jay Bee on September 16, 2019, 08:53:39 AM
My picture contribution. It's high resolution (1.36M @ 1600 x 1200) so it'll be easier to see if the file is downloaded.

that's what I did, I also painted the studs white so once the dash was installed I can easily spot them under the dash. I didn't remove the seats I found it actually more comfortable leaving them in.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND trimming the light bar area if your pad is not original. pre-fit install the clips and puncher the holes.

They speaker grill never fits the same you would need to have a few on hand to see which fits best.

If you have an original or 40 year old glove box, I would also recommend you purchase a new repoe before you begin. This glove box fell apart in my hands when I touched it. luckily I had one on the shelf.

Honestly the biggest pain was removing the screws from the back side of the lower heater control trim.

so, remove the ash tray, top of glove box liner, lower heater control trim, radio trim can stay just remove the top screws, pillar trim, don't try to bend the upper inner windshield trim back you may put a bend in it. lower steering column only from the 2 bots from the dash frame no need to touch the firewall bolts.

have fun!!
Tommy The Chryco
Cuda Rubber Bumpers and The Better "Shaker Kits"
1-866-893-2547

AARCONV

https://youtu.be/9ssnl2KP-nc
It's not a bad job at all. Plan on a longer time going back together because you would end up cleaning everything in site