Main Menu

Restoring 1970'Cuda Turn Signals

Started by JSmithTN, April 27, 2022, 05:26:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JSmithTN

I was wanting to know if any one has a tip or suggestion as to how to replace the lamp socket pigtails on a '70 parking - turn signal, also how to achieve the proper silver finish for the inside to get the correct reflection.

I ordered a pair of replacement pigtail/sockets from Roseville Mopar because one of mine had been repaired with butt spice connectors.

Once I removed the old socket/pigtail by placing a flat tip screwdriver between the socket and the housing I came to the realization that I was need a method of rolling the lip of the new socket outward on the inside of the assembly to keep it in place.

I thought that placing the socket in a vise with a silicone vise insert to prevent bending, then getting a tapered draft or punch and gently tapping the lip outward till it locked in place.

I'm sure that there is a way for this to be done that has excellent end results if someone has had success can you please share?

As far as the silver finish inside, is there a spray paint that would get same finish?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

Mr Cuda

Labor of love to get the crimp undone.  Take your time any way you see how.

" Closest thing to chrome" spray paint  on the bulb pocket. Rustoleum sells one.
I took a really bad pair  and used jb weld as bondo to make smooth,  then put reflectorized mylar in the bowl.
Stunning!

anlauto

Send them to Mike Ross at BE&A....he'll help out for sure  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration