Main Menu

Rotisserie

Started by Romero14, September 02, 2023, 03:40:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Romero14

Which rotisserie do you guys recommend? Looks like whirly jig is out of business.

7E-Bodies

I got mine through Northern Tool. They shipped it to a transfer point about 10 miles from me as it takes a fork truck to unload. I had them load it onto my trailer, then I took it off one piece at a time when I got home. Not bad, but not thrilled. I'm seeing they don't have them any more. I'd no sooner got my car mounted to mine and the worm gear in the crank gearbox sheared both roll pins. Had I not been fairly repair minded, I'd have been hosed. I wound up taking the gear and crank out, running a drill and tap through the roll pin holes, and running long set screws in instead. All in all, I'm glad to have it. It serves the purpose, just a crappy gearbox design.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Romero14

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 04, 2023, 09:59:11 AM
I got mine through Northern Tool. They shipped it to a transfer point about 10 miles from me as it takes a fork truck to unload. I had them load it onto my trailer, then I took it off one piece at a time when I got home. Not bad, but not thrilled. I'm seeing they don't have them any more. I'd no sooner got my car mounted to mine and the worm gear in the crank gearbox sheared both roll pins. Had I not been fairly repair minded, I'd have been hosed. I wound up taking the gear and crank out, running a drill and tap through the roll pin holes, and running long set screws in instead. All in all, I'm glad to have it. It serves the purpose, just a crappy gearbox design.

Oh no, I definitely wouldn't want that to happen. Good thing you were able to make it work.

RJChallenger

Back in the late 90's long before these cars became collectable and very expensive, I used 2 engine stands. One a store bought unit and the other a home made jobbie. once I figured out the offset needed from front stand and the rear stand. On the front I bolted to the frame where the bumper bracket mounts. The rear I used a 2x2 steel tube mounted where the bumper brackets mount. Used a crack in the floor as a rotation stop, otherwise I would have Incorporated that into the engine stand. Had it setup this way for a couple of years to scrape the undercoating off, primer and paint the underside.

RJChallenger

Don't know why the pictures showed up this way. I'll have to wait for someone with more computer skills get home

Moparmade

You could find plans online and build one if you have rhe equipment and skills or go to uscartools and by one

7E-Bodies

Couple shots of mine in use...
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

moparx5

if you can build a car you can build a rotisserie. not worth the invesment of buying new since  you wont sell it for 1/2 what u pay for it. great tool when u need but a big obstical when you dont. i had the material cut to size and had it welded together in a couple hours and a car on it. its simple

EDL94

Quote from: moparx5 on September 05, 2023, 05:32:32 PM
if you can build a car you can build a rotisserie. not worth the invesment of buying new since  you wont sell it for 1/2 what u pay for it. great tool when u need but a big obstical when you dont. i had the material cut to size and had it welded together in a couple hours and a car on it. its simple

Not always true I bought a new one used it for 2 years and sold it on craigslist for about 70% of the purchase price. It sold fast I might have priced it too low. I considered the $400.00 or so loss as rental cost for the 2 years of use. Yes when you are done these things take up a lot of space and are not worth keeping. They are not that hard to build but a home built one will be harder to sell.

Romero14

Quote from: EDL94 on September 05, 2023, 06:36:28 PM
Quote from: moparx5 on September 05, 2023, 05:32:32 PM

Not always true I bought a new one used it for 2 years and sold it on craigslist for about 70% of the purchase price. It sold fast I might have priced it too low. I considered the $400.00 or so loss as rental cost for the 2 years of use. Yes when you are done these things take up a lot of space and are not worth keeping. They are not that hard to build but a home built one will be harder to sell.

This was my thinking. Buy one then sell it. Losing 400 or 500 on the sale won't be the end of the world esp if it makes things easier for us.

soundcontrol

Try to find a used one, mine is home made. Think I paid around 400 for it.
Will get that back easy when I sell.
(in the year 2050 when my 4 project cars are done...)

Romero14

Quote from: soundcontrol on September 06, 2023, 03:06:19 PM
Try to find a used one, mine is home made. Think I paid around 400 for it.
Will get that back easy when I sell.
(in the year 2050 when my 4 project cars are done...)

I've been looking but haven't found one yet.

anlauto

I was going to ask how many cars are you restoring ? A car can be restored without the added cost of fancy tools... :dunno: just sayin
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Romero14

Quote from: anlauto on September 07, 2023, 09:49:22 AM
I was going to ask how many cars are you restoring ? A car can be restored without the added cost of fancy tools... :dunno: just sayin

My car and then my buddy's car.

cnm2215

What do you guys think of this one?