Main Menu

Shaker Hood Bubble Color Question

Started by gb70, August 27, 2020, 06:33:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gb70

What would be the correct color for the bubble on a 1970 Challenger Convertible RT Convertible? The Challenger left the factory with the bulge hood but want to add a shaker hood to it. I have seen argent silver, black, and body color. I am not in favor of black, but like argent silver and body color. Is there a correct color that should be used on my Challenger RT Convertible?

anlauto

Likely argent, for sure not body colour  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Racer57

I've been lead to believe that Red was the only body color used, and that was only in 70.

6bblgt

textured light argent

Quote from: Racer57 on August 27, 2020, 08:05:48 PM
I've been lead to believe that Red was the only body color used, and that was only in 70.

red was early production 'cuda only

there are pre-production R/Ts & 'cudas with additional colors

Topcat

I've watched a lot of threads regarding Argent and there's a lot of different opinions on it.

I recall my brand new OEM 71' Grille out of the box.
I vividly recall spark'rly little crystals of Mica...Silver, Gold, Black.
Mica is like 'Fools Gold'

https://www.google.com/search?q=mica+mineral&sxsrf=ALeKk03XKHRX0OM1mMDw7AwTYjCTapT6hA:1611024088928&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwig6K20_KbuAhUIHDQIHZ8ODHEQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1090&bih=517#imgrc=8e4V69ME9abDpM

The Center wheel caps on 1970 Rallye's were definitely a much brighter Silver hue than the Shaker Bubble's being done. Albeit a separate vendor? Perhaps!

Grilles, and Bubbles were most likely painted together.

Mike at BEA and Scott at @Harms will both tell you..."It depends on who you ask." (Painted together or separate)

Mike even pointed out that just changing the PSI, material mix, temp, and spray pattern can alter the results how it ends up appearing once cured.

He said it's best the paint them together. That makes total sense.

Shaker Bubbles were more the darker Argent mix. Not Wheel argent.   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Argent is correct I guess. I think I'm likely the only guy who ever had one painted FM3, I really like the body colour look.
Sheldon

Topcat

docmel

I beleive the shakers only came in red, argent and black, period

Topcat

OEM correct Black Shaker Bubble

OEM correct Silver Argent Shaker Bubble

mccannix

Silver argent, red, and black...were the only colored scoops that were mandated by Chrysler for Fram, the vendor, to be used on assembly line cars for the public.
A few other colors for photo shoots, commercials , ads, etc happened , but were painted by someone other than the manufacturer, after those cars had been built

MoparCarGuy

1970: Argent silver and does not match the wheel centercaps (appliques) or a Cuda grille. Only FE5 Red Cudas received body-colored shakers because the advertising and brochure info showed the pre-production FE5 Cuda wearing a Red shaker bubble.
1971: Black, although some 1969/1970-dated Argent bubbles were installed on a very, small number of Challengers.

6bblgt

1971 SHAKER bubbles  :looney:
this is my take on a scenario that may be close to the gray area we observe ARGENT VS. BLACK 50 years later, there is little or NO proof to support this theory ..........

'71 DODGE Challenger SHAKER ARGENT bubbles
                available on  340 & 383HP cars, ARGENT bubbles to match the ARGENT grills (2 set-ups for inventory)
'71 DODGE Challenger R/T SHAKER BLACK bubbles
                available on  340, 383HP, 440+6 & HEMI cars, BLACK bubbles to match the BLACK grills (4 set-ups for inventory)
'71 PLYMOUTH 'cuda SHAKER BLACK bubbles on cars w/painted grills: EV2, FC7, FE5, FJ6, GB5, GF7, GK6, GW3 & GY3
                available on  340, 383HP, 440+6 & HEMI cars, BLACK bubbles to compliment the body colored painted grills (4 set-ups for inventory)
'71 PLYMOUTH 'cuda SHAKER ARGENT bubbles on cars painted any color not listed above ^
                available on  340, 383HP, 440+6 & HEMI cars, ARGENT bubbles to compliment the ARGENT grills (4 set-ups for inventory)

that's 14 air cleaner assemblies needed on the line for whatever cars were being ordered & scheduled.  don't know when the plan was thrown out the window, but with E-body musclecar sales less than 1/3 of 1970's coupled with the rarity of the SHAKER hood - inventory control was probably a huge issue & cars got assembled with what was available on hand
             :crazytalk:
the ARGENT SHAKER & ARGENT grill just look RIGHT together!!

GCragtop

What´s the correct black for shakers? Looks organosol on pictures above.

Topcat

Quote from: GCragtop on January 27, 2021, 10:16:54 PM
What´s the correct black for shakers? Looks organosol on pictures above.

That's Holy Grail Shaker Black right there.

js27

Chally looks GREAT.  Did you get the dash back yet ?? I thing the car woud look great with a Shaker but keep the original tucked away....Please send me some pictures when it is done and of course with the Shaker on it...
JS27