Main Menu

Six barrel intake

Started by ply64post, July 25, 2017, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ply64post

I understand that aluminum intakes were used on the sixpack cars at the beginning of the 70 production year.
My question is when in the production did they go to cast iron intake?The car is a  A06 production date.

Thank You to anyone that can help
                                                                            Jeff                                          :unitedstates:

6bblgt

I've heard there was a porosity problem with early '70 model year cast iron intakes -

they started with cast iron found a problem, substituted aluminum to keep the line running, revised the cast iron version & used these as soon as they were available

I've seen late November '69 production with an aluminum manifold - I'd guess early October '69 should be cast iron

e-bodies scheduled for A06 were usually printed on a '69 form - do you have a broadcast sheet & is it a 'cuda or Challenger?

ply64post

6bblgt

The car is a V code Cuda, no to the broadcast sheet.

6bblgt

another oddity for A06 'cudas is occasional lack of the STANDARD "M31" belt mouldings:

sometimes missing from the car and/or the fender tag - are your car's present & accounted for?

Cuda Cody

If I recall correctly, I had a 440+6 Cuda from LA with a Mid Sept build date and it had the aluminum intake.

ply64post

Cody

This was a Hamtramck build car, don't know if that would make any difference or not.

Cuda Cody

My guess would be cast iron, but it's just a guess.  Once it's painted and one I think you'll be fine with either.  Can't really prove either is correct or not unless you have the original. 

Quote from: ply64post on July 26, 2017, 06:44:14 AM
Cody

This was a Hamtramck build car, don't know if that would make any difference or not.

anlauto

Your safest bet is cast iron.....not too many people can tell you it's incorrect. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vcodecuda

mine has a SPD of A12, when I got the car it had an incorrect later cast intake 11-28-69, after doing research I found a few documented cars with the A12 SPD with the aluminum intake. I think it's like Cody said either could be correct :wave:

6bblgt

Quote from: 70vcodecuda on July 26, 2017, 09:46:48 AM
mine has a SPD of A12, when I got the car it had an incorrect later cast intake 11-28-69, after doing research I found a few documented cars with the A12 SPD with the aluminum intake. I think it's like Cody said either could be correct :wave:

do you have a b'cast sheet? your car could've been 2+ weeks late, A12 is it's "SCHEDULED" production date.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/actual-production-date-vs-scheduled-production-date/810/msg42441#new

70vcodecuda

no sheet Dan, I was also told there where a lot V code Cudas with A12

Cuda Cody

If I recall, there's also 2 different casting numbers for the 1970 Cast Iron intakes too.  One early and one later.