Main Menu

383 four barrel emblem

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, July 28, 2019, 07:32:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

As I get my RT hood ready for paint, I dug out some emblems and found that the 383 magnum ones fit perfect. That's what I always see on these 70 Challengers.

So what does the 383 four barrel emblem get used on? It has three pins instead of two and it's obviously a bit longer. I assumed they were Plymouth emblems but just not sure.

I did some internet searching and the only ones I find for sale are by companies claiming they are for 1970 Challengers. Is that true?

RUNCHARGER

The original hood emblems on my 70 R/T were 383 four barrel. They haven't been available for awhile I don't think.
Edit, parts book says they are supposed to be Magnum on the hood.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on July 28, 2019, 07:50:08 AM
In my opinion a "383 Four Barrel" emblem with THREE   pins would be a Plymouth Cuda SHAKER hood emblem  :alan2cents:  All others had only two pins.

Dodge = 383 Magnum
Plymouth = 383 Four Barrel

I looked for some online just now but all I saw on the shakers were 'cuda 383.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 28, 2019, 07:51:26 AM
The original hood emblems on my 70 R/T were 383 four barrel. They haven't been available for awhile I don't think.

So the original hood on my 70 RT got crunched and the hood on it now is a 71 I believe. My 71 hood has two pin holes for the 383 magnum emblem. Is it possible that 70 was 383 four barrel but 71 was 383 magnum? All I see on internet images is 383 magnum.

1 Wild R/T

Personally I've never seen 383 Four Barrel emblems mounted on a hood.... This is were they belong...

BTW this is JH27N0B's car....

70 Challenger Lover

Forgot to add a pic of the emblems.

And I'm adding a pic of my other 70 Challenger. It is a JH23N0B car but if you look close, there is only a V8 emblem on the fender. And that car was as original as I've ever seen. Buckets of rust and all. The car was built in December 69.

anlauto

I DELETED MY POST BECAUSE IT WAS THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER SAID ON THIS FORUM....MY POST WAS TOTALLY WRONG !

I ADMIT MY LARGE AMOUNT OF STUPIDNESS and blame it on my lack of morning Coke  :crazytalk: :crazytalk: :crazytalk:

Please move along and forget everything I said in my post...
...other then Shaker emblems having three pins, that part was true  :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 28, 2019, 08:01:31 AM
Personally I've never seen 383 Four Barrel emblems mounted on a hood.... This is were they belong...

BTW this is JH27N0B's car....
And I still haven't touched up the red!  :Thud:  I wonder what the best product to use for that, Testors red maybe?
My car and maybe all '70 non R/T N code Challengers are flat hood cars, so the fender is the only place it would or could be placed. Interestingly, there is another JH27N0B car in this area now, and it has "V8" emblems there.  It's an early build car (September).  My car has a late November SBD.  Is the JH23N0B car shown really a B or any chance it's an E?  Maybe they always used the V8 emblem at the LA plant. Of course the other JH27 I know is a Hamtramnk car because that is where all convertibles we made.
Now what would be the case for a non R/T '71 N code Challenger, ordered with a sport hood?

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I went to my parts book and yes they are supposed to be Magnum on the hood and the 440 Magnum emblems are 1 part # different so that makes sense. I have seen tons of four barrel ones on the fenders though, that I am sure of.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

How interesting. I assumed someone was going to tell me they were for Plymouth and maybe a B body or something like that.

Even though my JH car did not come with the four barrel emblem, if it is commonly used on other JH cars that have the N code HP 383, maybe I will just put them on when I finish that car. A flat hood is going back on it and it would look good with the engine call outs on the fenders like my super bee had.

As far as shakers, what did the Challengers get on a shaker hood with a 383? Obviously it would not be a 'Cuda 383 emblem.

70 Challenger Lover

Doing another internet search on Challengers with shakers, I found a couple that had 383 four barrel emblems. Sadly most of the cars I find were switched out to six pack emblems so it's hard to be certain.

Floyd

I suspect the "383 Four Barrel" emblems are not correct for a shaker even though they may have 3 pins. The correct 3-pin shaker emblems have longer and thicker pins that are spaced to match the pre-drilled holes on the shaker scoop.  Pics of correct "383 Magnum" and "340 Four Barrel" shaker emblems attached. The regular 2-pin "340 Four Barrel" emblem in the photo shows the smaller pin type. 

Floyd

Better pics of the size difference.  The shaker pins measure 13/16" L and are .160" thick at the base.  The regular pins measure 5/8" L and are .132" thick at the base.

6bblgt

first, the "sport hood" (J54) was NEVER a stand alone OPTION for Challenger 1970 thru 1974

it was STANDARD on R/T (JS - 1970-'71)/Rallye (JS - 1972), it was also included with 1970's "340 engine package" (A66) & 1973-'74's "Rallye package" (A57)
PLUS, whenever it was available to order a 340 4bbl (1971-'73) or 360 4bbl (1974) on a base Challenger (JH) - the "sport hood" was included

for some UNKNOWN reason - some flat hood 340 Challengers do exist  :notsure:

70 Challenger Lover

Those pics help a lot! Mine are thicker and longer than the 383 magnum ones but not quite like your pictures show. Additionally, the spacing of the three pins is different than than yours so I think I can rule out them coming from a Challenger shaker.

I found a part number on the back, 3504233 and googled it. Only saw one relevant item but it might answer the question if it's accurate information. The poster from another site was quoting something he read in a book stating that the emblem is a fender emblem for N code Challengers but only on the SE cars. Perhaps they also put them on JH convertibles as well. That would fit since my car has only a V8 emblem and is not an SE or convertible.

@JH27N0B I did use the red and black testers paint with good results. Not perfect of course but I figure I can always put on new emblems if I ever paint the car.