Main Menu

The 1970 Hemi Cuda Warlock restoration is finished!

Started by Cuda Cody, April 08, 2018, 08:24:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Amazing Cuda!  I hope he hangs on to it for a long time!   :cheers:

Cuda Cody

At the time it came up for sale I did not have the time to fly out and inspect it (I will not buy a car without myself or someone I trust looking at it in person).  I spoke to my good friend Larry and he said he was able to fly out to look at it so I covered the cost of the flight.... but he wanted to be in on it the deal if it was a real Hemi Cuda with only 9 street miles on it.  The Warlock checked out and I was happy to do a 50/50 partnership with him.  Before the car was finished Larry purchased my half and now owns it outright.  He's done a lot of Hemi Cuda's over the years, but none to this level.  I was happy to be part of the restoration when I had time and help him get the car to a high level.  There's a few small things that still need to be addressed, but it is super clean and it's for sure done right.  I'm not sure what Larry's plan is for the car, but this cuda would be the prize of anyone's collection and I'm now wishing I still owned part it.

Quote from: anlauto on April 08, 2018, 10:17:38 AM
So how does the ownership/partnership deal work ?  I just watched the video and I had always thought it was your car Cody ?

J-Code Jeni

I love this story and wished I could have met June in person here a few short weeks back. There are benefits to keeping it all original and also, restoring it. I know it was a tough decision to make. The car looks amazing now and I did also really enjoying having it in our backyard for a bit it when it landed on the West Coast.   8)

Congrat's to Larry, Nick and June!!  :clapping: :congrats:

Morty426

Spikedog08

WOW that car is amazing!  Certainly watching to see what happens with this one!

:bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cudino

Neat car, great story, and beautiful restoration.  Kudos to all involved!

- Wade

Timbbuc2

Just watched the video, what a story and car. Well done @Cuda Cody and others
Get in, I'll drive

RzeroB

Saw this beautiful '70 HemiCuda offered up for sale at the Mecum Indy auction. https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-326972/1970-plymouth-hemi-cuda/

The Mecum ad doesn't show the VIN so I logged it into my "registry" as an "unknown". When I was done, it matched up to one car almost line for line. Then I saw Aaron Miller's post over on facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10106260364386504&set=pcb.1953048838073942&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Low and behold to my surprise it was none other that old Super-Stock race car Warlock!! Looks fantastic!! Never would have guessed it was the same car. Whoever  :vipermanhiding:  did the resto on it is surely a master-restorer!!  :perfect10:

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

That is sad , buy a historic car like that remove the heritage & just flip the car  :tired:

Cuda Cody

The Warlock turned out fantastic!  I'm not sure on the final cost, but it was a ton of money to do that car right.  No corners were cut.

Cuda Cody

The level it was restored cost so much money I don't think there's any money left to be made if he sells it.  I know he's not in a hurry to sell and he didn't take the high bid of $260k so he's taken it home to enjoy and show at some local shows.  I know Larry pretty good and he's an honest car guy that loves these cars.  He has owned about 100 Mopars over his life (if not a lot more) and he loves the hunt as much as anyone.  He moves them forward and does a good job of restoring them right.  It's not a dollar thing for him.  He has plenty of money and does this car thing as a hobby.  If I had to guess I would think he's at least in to the Warlock $300K and there were many times he could have cut corners to save money but he didn't.  He did a great job on that car.

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2018, 08:11:15 AM
That is sad , buy a historic car like that remove the heritage & just flip the car  :tired:
Yeah, I have to agree with you there Neil, and while it's a beautiful restoration; at the end of the day it turns out that it was done for the money, period. No one will ever really drive it or do a burn-out in it or race that guy with the fast Malibu or take their grandchild out for a rip in Grampa's hot rod. Too mercenary for me.  :thumbdown:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nsmall

I enjoyed the video, especially from 21:00 on.  Went to youtube and found Zero videos of the warlock racing :dunno:

anlauto

I think it's awesome the car was restored back to original....I think they all should be. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Sure now it is identical to 600+ other ones built , nothing special at all  :Thud: