Main Menu

The Black Ghost Challenger to be sold

Started by JH27N0B, January 06, 2023, 09:51:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I think what you're seeing in that picture is part of the trailer hitch ? :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

moparroy

Ok I see - maybe part of a load distribution hitch mechanism.

Rdchallenger

Still cool that I saw it, yet still hate the reason it was there.

dodj

Seems to havre sold for over a million. 
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

I enjoy this video, because it's pretty much what I've been saying all along...

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

It'll be interesting to see where that car shows up in the future.
I've been suspicious of some of the things I've seen happen at Mecum auctions.
Cars that supposedly sell, but at another later Mecum auction the car shows up in the offerings once again.
So what happened, did someone pay a high price for it, just to turn around and list it soon afterwards thinking they'll make a profit, even after factoring in the buyers premium, listing fee and sellers premium they will pay?
Seems like a risky way to try to make a buck!
Or did the sale fall through, like for example the 71 Challenger convertible that Alan restored that supposedly sold for $300,000 at Indy a few years ago?
A derelict jet that Elvis once owned was sold at the Kissimmee auction in January.  It ended up selling, but a YouTube guy, Jimmy, who was outbid while bidding on stage at the auction posted a video of how he got contacted by a Mecum rep as he was driving home later. The rep said the supposed phone buyer balked at the sale saying there were misunderstandings with communication with the bidder assistant, and thought he should pay less.  The rep offered Jimmy the jet at his last bid, saying that he was fed up with the buyer and would rather sell it to someone else.
Jimmy told the guy he had got caught up in the heat of the moment while bidding and wasn't willing to pay that number. They went back and forth and finally made a deal, for less than he'd bid at the event.  Just because the Mecum rep was mad at the supposed phone bidder?
It seemed likely that sale you saw at the auction was phony.  I question if that "phone bidder" was real.
Search Jimmys world on YouTube to find the video. To me seeing that video supported my suspicions that a lot of shenanigans go on at these auctions and some sales that get a lot of publicity at the auction aren't real.
Black Ghost might be a similar deal. It sure has served Mecums interests in getting a lot of publicity.

Jay Bee

Quote from: dodj on May 21, 2023, 05:37:15 AM
Seems to havre sold for over a million.
$975,000 (car) + $97,500 (buyer premium) = $1,072,500

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Defeo got this one right. Somebody may or may not have paid a lot of money for a $150k car needing a resto.
My Dad always said to give someone enough rope and they'll hang themselves. I think that applies to the Collector car auction situation. It has to get more ridiculous until it kills itself off.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

Quote from: anlauto on May 21, 2023, 06:42:38 AM
I enjoy this video, because it's pretty much what I've been saying all along...
Spot on! I'd still watch the movie though. Maybe starring Vin Diesel, Fast & Furious###.

anlauto

I think "mainstream media" has a part to play in it as well....I think it was over hyped because of who owned it and the media always seems to be looking for good hearted stories with people.......................(fill in the blanks)

RzeroB

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 21, 2023, 07:09:19 AM
I've been suspicious of some of the things I've seen happen at Mecum auctions ... my suspicion iss that a lot of shenanigans go on at these auctions and some sales that get a lot of publicity at the auction aren't real. Black Ghost might be a similar deal. It sure has served Mecums interests in getting a lot of publicity.

Brad, I believe you are spot on with your assessment.

I'm a relative nobody in the hobby. However, by way of MCACN and Lembeck's MCACN after party I've managed to stand in on some very enlightening conversations between some of the big dogs and what goes on at these auctions. It is absolutely mind blowing!! It should be called the Mecum Magic Show, because very little is as it appears on the surface of these big sales.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JH27N0B

I was suspicious that the Black Ghost's sale at Mecum was phony, and that perhaps the car was now back in one of their car storage facilities in Wisconsin to reappear next year at a future auction.
But apparently someone really did pay a million bucks for it.  A guy named Ryan from Florida on the Supercar Registry forum says he was the buyer.
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175665&page=2
Cool car, I still think its worth about 1/3rd of the sales price, and the other $700,000 was for an interesting but exaggerated story.
Hope the buyer will be happy with his purchase!  :cheers:

anlauto

Another Chevy guy trying to be cool... :haha:

chris NOS

i think with out the story this car is minimum 500 000 To 600 000, all original and rare options very desirable car , the last one was the red one,not as original like the Black ghost and sold for 502 000 usd  and not so interesting in my book .( i saw both cars in MCACN ).