Main Menu

The Black Ghost Challenger to be sold

Started by JH27N0B, January 06, 2023, 09:51:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I admit, I bought the hype when I saw the "documentary" on youtube a while ago. After watching Uncle Tony's Garage vid I came back to my senses. It apparently is a bone stock car with no mods. There is no way this thing cleaned up the streets.... unless he waited until the competition was in his favor, which explains the long gaps in his racing.  :haha: Personally I think someone bought a $100K car and $900K story (which might have been exaggerated at best ).

BUT, What is wrong with that? One thing I notice in this hobby, nothing is cheap. Hemi valve covers are $1000 as seems every trivial Hemi part. I think I saw hemi engine for $20K or something crazy. Maybe not that high but it was insane. I can't imagine what a Hemi Door would cost. LOL. But in any case, I have no doubt everyone on this list would try to maximize the price of their E-Body when selling. I don't think anyone thinks what is a "real" price for their car and sell it for that. Our car prices are way over inflated. They are driven up by people with cash willing to buy a dream car at any price. I don't blame this guy. At 100K, that car is still out of reach for most any real gear head and limited to someone with lots of cash. So this just jacks up that price a "bit". Both parties are happy. Although I think the story and price is ridiculous,  I don't begrudge either party.

7212Mopar

Wait until the new owner put a Top Gun sticker on the car.

The story as told, as created, as hyped or as marketed will solidify as years goes by when people of that era die off. The car already has the sale price to back its status and it can become an urban legend.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

torredcuda

Quote from: worthywads on May 26, 2023, 06:44:49 AM
45,000 miles in 5 years isn't low miles, that car would have been seen a lot

Yup, 9,000 miles a year and probably not driven in the winter, if you figure maybe six months of driving that`s over 300 miles  week - how was it never seen? Just another hole in the story.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

JH27N0B

The claim was he'd go out late at night, win a race, and disappear.
He obviously used it often during the daytime hours.  I believe the story on the trailer hitch was that he'd tow a dirt bike to tracks on weekends to race the bike.
I'd think that people would have spotted the car running around back in the day and remember it.  Who wouldn't remember a triple black hemi Challenger you'd seen driving around your area in the 70s?
I remember some cars I'd see in my area back in the 70s.  There was a guy running around in a 68 Camaro SS convertible that had a 427 in it.  He had a stock hood and couldn't run an air cleaner on it as it wouldn't fit under the hood!
Another guy named Mike had an orange 440 6 pack Challenger with a A12 style hood scoop. He drove through my high school's parking lot one day to look at what cars were parked there I'd guess, then pulled out and floored it.  I'll never forget watching the front end jumping up as he went through the gears.
I wonder where that car is now?  The Orange Ghost!
Every city and town had cars like these back in the day.  And many of the cars you see now restored at shows, or being found as "barn finds" after sitting in garages for ages were the cars that were local legends back in the day.
Me and another guy in my town had red Challenger T/As.  We both still have our cars today.  Maybe we are the famous Red Ghosts!
Publicize the story enough and perhaps the Red Ghosts could be worth a million each too!