Main Menu

Torsion bar adjust for rear

Started by 73TopBanana, August 28, 2019, 11:27:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73TopBanana

Hello, looking at the back of the vehicle, have a noticeable height difference above the wheel wells and tires. The front is fine. for lack of a better term the car looks twisted. How is the raising or lowering by say 1/2" done?
Thanks

Wayne

I know they make adjustable leaf spring shackles.  To get solid numbers of where you are at.  Make sure tire pressure is even and then measure from the top of arch of each wheel lip to the ground on a level surface and you can see how much one corner is off and evaluate from there.

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

73TopBanana

Thanks Wayne, i remember being told the torsion bar adjustment can fix it, is that true?

Wayne

Torsion bar adjustment is for the front end only  :bigthumb:

I wouldn't rush into the adjustable shackles.  If your numbers are off by much I would really look into your leaf springs.  Maybe they have issues.  Not sure if you know the history of the car or if has any accidents in the past that might make it not straight.

73TopBanana

your right, its just that the rear driver side is about a 1/2" lower than passenger side and when i get in to drive its lower with my weight...250 lbs
lol. just one of those that bother me.  :unitedstates: :canada:

70 Challenger Lover

How old are your leaf springs? Maybe the lower side is failing.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Wayne on August 28, 2019, 11:43:18 AM

Actually adjusting the torsion bar will have an impact on the height of the rear as well.  I would recommend checking your torsion bars along with the springs.

Romi

Quote from: 303 Mopar on August 28, 2019, 12:20:38 PM
Quote from: Wayne on August 28, 2019, 11:43:18 AM

Actually adjusting the torsion bar will have an impact on the height of the rear as well.  I would recommend checking your torsion bars along with the springs.
True but the front would be out by a LOT more to affect the rear by 1/2".

Chryco Psycho

Actually not the case , a very slight front adjustment makes a lot of difference at the rear as most of the weight is on the fron , raise the opposite front corner to lower the rear

73_Cuda_4_Me

:iagree: What Chryco says... I had a half inch diff in my rear floor to fender lip side to side, and an 1/8th on the fronts. Took about a half turn on the corner opposite the high rear side, and both front and rear leveled right out...

Note: you need to run the vehicle for a few miles after doing the adjustment before you measure it again... it has to 'settle' in...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Wayne

Sorry for any miss-information I gave.  I was figuring he had his front bars set right and he was good with them. 

73TopBanana

Wayne, no sweat bud, y'all fellow e-bodies are more knowledgeable than me!  ;) :unitedstates:

303 Mopar

Quote from: Wayne on August 29, 2019, 07:55:49 AM
Sorry for any miss-information I gave.  I was figuring he had his front bars set right and he was good with them.

No worries, we are all here learning new things everyday.  :banana:

HEMICUDA

Yes, adjusting the torsion bars do effect the rear stance, what's really important, make sure you take the weight off the front end before you adjust up the bolt.  Lower the car down and bounce on the front end to "settle it in" before measuring your front end height at the wheel lip side to side.  Never try to adjust up the front end with the weight on it, you stand a good chance of blowing out the "fine" threads out of the threaded block.  Don't ask, I did that 30 years ago with an impact on a 440 Challenger.

73TopBanana