Main Menu

Trunk Lock

Started by 7212Mopar, December 05, 2023, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I am planning to install the TA spoiler. So today I try to open the trunk to take a closer look. Turn the key, nothing happen. Trunk normally will just pop open but not this time. Feels like just the key will turn and then spring return upright but nothing. Tried spray some lubricant through the keyhole but did not help. So I need some advice and pointer as to what the next step to take. Even I remove the back seat, I doubt that I will be able to get to the lock and I got the spare tire in the way as well.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

jimynick

Try pushing down on the lid before and during when you turn the key. Failing that, your mentioned removal of the rear seat, accompanied with both you and your buddy's complete collections of 3/8' extensions and likely a flex socket should get the job done. Drilling out the cylinder is also an option, but usually mangles the lower trunk panel in the process. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

7212Mopar

Do you mean using socket and extension to unbolt the lock? Those are 7/16 bolts right?

7212Mopar

I did a search for past posts and I am definitely not the first one that got this problem. 1WildRT mentioned using a long screwdriver to turn the latch. Anyone has a picture of the trunk latch from the inside? Trying to get a better picture where I need to poke the screw driver from 4 feet away and I don't recall how it look. I am going to remove the back seat this weekend to try. Might be easier than unbolting the latch. Thanks ahead.

7212Mopar

Never mind. Google and found a picture of the latch. Now I just need to find a right size screw driver and some extension and steady by hands. I got a feeling this is not going to be much fun.

SYDWAZ

:thinking: I had this issue a few years ago. I took out the back seat, located a screw driver and 4 ft.
 piece of grey electrical conduit, split the end of the conduit, force the end apart and force the handle of the driver in the end of the conduit. Put a metal band around the handle. Unscrew metal panel to access rod, use 1x2 or 1x3 to pry the end of the rod. Worked for me.

7212Mopar

Backseat and back rest removed. Just as I knew, my 245x17 spare tires is blocking me. I can't even get my hand in to try unbolting the spare tire tie down. The view to the lock is blocked. Only managed to use the phone to take a picture. Tried for an hour with a wood stick against the latch and did not get anywhere. I am really not flexible nowadays. Next idea, I will borrow my wife's mirror and make a new tool (flat head screwdriver attach to an extension rod) to try again tomorrow. The battle will continue.

jimynick

The trunk lock cylinder has it's blade sticking through the latch and you might have little room for your device to get beside it. Did you try the pushing down of the lid as you turned the key? This may require a second person to light and guide you. As per your question about bolt size, they're not 7/16 but the heads are. Good luck with it!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

dodj

When  I was faced with a similar situation, the blade Ian is talking about had fallen out of the trunk lock mechanism. So I used a long flat blade screwdriver to turn the lock after crawling in as much as possible from the back seat. Don't know what to do about your spare tire though. Have any super skinny friends?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

If you have the correct bolts holding the latch in place, you'll need a 1/2" socket....not 7/16"
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

This thread needs an update!!
 :popcorn:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

7212Mopar

Thanks for checking but not much to report. I made a tool with a worn flat blade screwdriver and a piece of round tube. It is ready to go but I have not make the attempt yet. Wife got too many plans for me and busy at work to close out the year. I will see if I can make an attempt this weekend. Try my tool first using mirror to see. If not working, use the mirror to see if I can unbolt the spare tire hold down. Last resort will be Alan's recommendation to drill out the lock. Hope I don't have to do that. BTW, don't have skinny friends and my son is grown up. I will update.

7212Mopar

Field progress report. At around 1100 hours this morning, operation open trunk made some meaningful advance. The spare tire obstacle was removed and push to the side by removing the defroster vent gaining workable view and access to the spare tire hold down. With the spare tire push to the side, the trunk latch assembly is now wide open to the might of my sockets. Attempt to get the latch lose was a failure. Material as in socket extensions from harbor freight are now necessary to have sufficient range to reach the target. Stand by for more.

7212Mopar

Success finally. Unbolt the latch by removing the half inch bolts. Find a trim screw inside the assembly preventing the latch to open. I have no idea how it got in there.