Main Menu

Thermostat sensor- can I attach any temp gauge to it?

Started by 72 Challenger, July 26, 2021, 05:10:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Everyone,

I am STILL chasing overheating problems on my Duster but now I am questioning the temp gauge to see if it's accurate or not. My question is, can I just hook any temp gauge upto the stock sending unit in the block? I want to run it around and see if the one in the Dash, which has been accurate forever, is actually out of whack. Recently my factory tach started reading 2x the actual RPM. So sending it off over the winter may be the next thing.

OR would a new gauge also need to be used with the appropriate sending unit for it's application? 

As for the overheating issue - Rad is as clean as can be on the inside, max cooling rad for a 340, timing is set to 14 initial and 34 all in, tried both a 180 and a 160 t-stat, new rad cap, new hosees with spring in lower rad hose, water pump seems to move fluid, Coolant is 50/50 premix. So i'm down too: Rad isn't up to the cooling of the 416, replace a water pump for what I think is no reason, bad temp gauge.
Someday I will have a J0b.

GoodysGotaCuda

No you cannot just hook any gauge to a factory sending unit. The resistance ranges need to be matched up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

72 Challenger

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 26, 2021, 07:30:30 AM
No you cannot just hook any gauge to a factory sending unit. The resistance ranges need to be matched up.

Thank you sir! I will either look for an analog one that connects directly to the motor or I can run an electric one temporarily from the battery.
Someday I will have a J0b.

YellowThumper

If you do not want to mess with engine plugs they sell adapter pieces that mount inline with the hose. Slice and adapt in. Remove when no longer desired.
My vote is to get an infrared gun and check actual temps with that. Unsure of its correctness? Boil water, remove from heat and test outside of pan. That will tell you if you are close with gun.
Yes an electric version guage could be temporarily wired in for testing purposes if desired.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.