Main Menu

Vintage Air or Classic Air?

Started by Challenger in NC, February 19, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Thinking of purchasing one of these kits (my car is factory non-A/C w/4 spd), Does anyone have experience with both of these kits and have a preference? Pros/Cons for either kit? Both are about the same price. My car is getting ready for paint but I will probably just install plugs in the 2 heater hose penetrations of the firewall. Any words of wisdom or regrets?

anlauto

HANDS DOWN = Vintage Air....I'm installing one right now in a 71 Challenger if you're following my latest build thread.

Last August I installed a Classic Air system in a 71 Cuda.

Night and day difference...The Classic Air uses the factory heater controls with archaic cables and a water control valve that looks like a $2 NAPA part....
By using the factory heater controls NOTHING written on the control,  means anything the same anymore. It makes no sense...the cables are also a pain. I thought the dash vents were okay, but you have to cut your dash pad....I do think they offer under dash vents as an option.

The Vintage air has more wiring, but everything is electronic and includes a nice dash bezel piece to replace the factory one....NO cables...also offers a nice mounting of the dryer up front out of the way...Classic Air has you mounting it on the inner apron.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Classic Air
Huge cheap plastic fire wall plate :thumbdown:
Uses stock controls :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Places a cheap single vent under the control, that you know you'll hit and break off getting in and out of the car  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Dash vents are okay, but really cheaply made :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Vintage Air
Nice control panel, all backlite at night, little vent in the corner (I added the E Brake switch) :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Nice location for the drier, hardline included :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

blown motor

I have Classic air in my 68 Charger. It was in the car when I bought it so I can't speak to the installation process. What I do know is that it works great. Whoever installed it ducted everything through the existing vents so it all still looks original. From an installer point of view I can't say, from a user point of view I have no complaints.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Challenger in NC

Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2021, 02:38:51 PM
Vintage Air
Nice control panel, all backlite at night, little vent in the corner (I added the E Brake switch) :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Nice location for the drier, hardline included :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Thanks for the info, that helps.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: blown motor on February 19, 2021, 02:42:04 PM
I have Classic air in my 68 Charger. It was in the car when I bought it so I can't speak to the installation process. What I do know is that it works great. Whoever installed it ducted everything through the existing vents so it all still looks original. From an installer point of view I can't say, from a user point of view I have no complaints.

Appreciate it.

73_Cuda_4_Me

I installed Vintage Air in the 73 Cuda, and the only problems I had were that the dryer had to mount lower on the Condenser frame than they specified (the cuda's grill runs pretty close, so hard line was hitting until I lowered it) and then the separate air ducts that come off the driver's side of the tunnel that go back over to the passenger side below-dash-vents are hard to get tucked up behind radio/dash... not impossible, but pretty packed.

Other than those 2 issues, it was fairly easy to install and works like a charm!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Scooter

Prior owner installed Vintage Air back in 2010. Still works fine as of this email, a few photos:

Firewall plate:

In car unit:

RUNCHARGER

I haven't installed one myself but in the parts business I sold lots of Vintage Air kits and I never heard a complaint ever.
Sheldon

Challenger in NC

Looks like I will also need to change out some engine pulley's, brackets and hardware for another $400-$500. :Thud:

Ric

installing a classic air now as we speak, in my 68 coronet, so far no issues+simple instructions and no hacking, direct fit.... :twothumbsup:
at least in my build NEW controls , nice metal firewall plates..

Yeya93

Since you haven't painted yours yet, not sure if you wanna you wanna create those holes in you're firewall like i did on mine for a cleaner look. Mine was original A/C, so i had to fill in the holes.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

cudaragtop

Had Vintage Air in Challenger that worked well. Came with the car.

Currently installing Classic Auto Air in a 69 A-Body Barracuda but I eliminated the stock controls and went with their Billet Electronic controls. It's a completely electronic system. Doesn't reuse any stock pieces.
I'm not using much of the plumbing that came with it since I am hiding as much of the plumbing as I can.
My controls look like this one but Black.

Doing customized dash and gauges too though.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Yeya93 on February 19, 2021, 08:22:37 PM
Since you haven't painted yours yet, not sure if you wanna you wanna create those holes in you're firewall like i did on mine for a cleaner look. Mine was original A/C, so i had to fill in the holes.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Looks good. I'm not sure I have the time since the kit will take about a month to get, but who knows.