Main Menu

Vintage Air or Classic Air?

Started by Challenger in NC, February 19, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

I installed Vintage Air in my 74 Challenger that had factory air.    It is all electronic and the control panel looks good, was fairly easy to install and makes good air that feeds thru the factory vents in the dash/floor or defroster. 

My negative with it, is that they have you close off the original fresh air intake.   So without the original fresh air intake the system is essentially in "max air" mode all of the time...i.e you are always recirculating the interior air.   Where that gets annoying is on a 65 degree day on a highway at 70 you cannot roll up the windows for quiet and just have cool outside vent air...   

The electronic controls, either 100 % opens the heater hoses, or turns them off to 0 % no in between.    There is no separate compressor on/off switch.   The compressor runs with the temp slider is all the way to the right for AC, and off when you slide it back to the heat side.    Their method of regulating air temperature in fall and winter conditions is their interior heater/AC box has vanes in it to send the recirculated air either over the heater and/or the ac evaporator, and control the amount with the electronic temp slider.     That i do not like.   So, what i do come spring time, is i turn the temp switch to full AC which closes off the heater hoses completely, then i pull the plug on the diverter so that if i slide the switch to heat it stops the AC compressor, and simply recirculates the interior air...i would still rather have outside air.   

Just my two cents worth.   I have no idea how the classic system works.   

Racer57

It seems like everyone here is installing the unit into cars that are not finished.

Hows the install on a completed car that didn't have AC ?

Manuel

Very informative points, thx Charger

mopar jack

I have a vintage air system yet to install for my 71 road runner and it comes with a block off plate for the passenger side vent but you still have the drivers side fresh air vent.

anlauto

Quote from: mopar jack on September 30, 2022, 06:18:01 AM
I have a vintage air system yet to install for my 71 road runner and it comes with a block off plate for the passenger side vent but you still have the drivers side fresh air vent.
Not if you have a factory AC car unfortunately, there's no DS vent box on them  :alan2cents:

My Vintage Air system works great, but I can't say there is a lack of outside air, because I've only used it with the top down  :stayinlane: :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

To pile on with similar votes for Vintage Air over Classic.
I recently installed a Vintage system. Like others have said. It installed nice, clean and exactly described without any issues.

Years back I installed Classic system. Everything... had to be reworked.
None of the engine brackets lined up proper. I had to slot holes, weld up and relocate holes and even change thicknesses of certain spacers.
Classic washed their hands of it simply stating your misalignment was because "engine had been rebuilt". I removed factory A/C to install this.

All the under dash hose vent connections had to be reformed with heat. They also did not have any formed bumps to keep hoses from sliding off. I had to zip tie and or screw hoses to housings.
Wiring was equally abhorrent.
Years later when Air flow direction failed I pulled under dash housing and the hinge that the inside flap pivots on had warped badly. Flap would not properly move and also prevented proper micro switch contacting. I was able to repair because I effectively have a machine shop at my home. No one of average home equipment would have been able to fix.
They may have improved over the past few years. But the horrid taste remains enough that I could never recommend Classic.
This comment coming from someone who appreciates all companies who supply our industry.
Just not them...
My2c
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

nicka

My 71 Barracuda was an ac car, but the ac guts were removed a long time ago. I installed the non ac firewall which allows for a fresh air vent on the drivers side.  Picked up an air box at Columbus Nats. Leaning towards Vintage air.

Racer57

Quote from: nicka on October 01, 2022, 12:25:50 PM
My 71 Barracuda was an ac car, but the ac guts were removed a long time ago. I installed the non ac firewall which allows for a fresh air vent on the drivers side.  Picked up an air box at Columbus Nats. Leaning towards Vintage air.
Did you install this to a completed car ?